GB-37 1/48th Spitfire M k1a - Helicopters / Military aircraft of BoB 1940 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't think I'll make the deadline with this one.
I got the serial numbers and some of the stencils done last night, but when I checked the decals this morning, two of the serial number characters on the starboard side fell off !
These were applied as separate characters from a 'Tally Ho' decals sheet, and I've had problems with these in the past, where they've not adhered very well, or, when they have 'stuck', they've shown heavy silvering.
Unfortunately, I don't have the required letters or numbers on my alternative sheet, from 'Xtradecal', as sod's law, they already been used !
I'll re-apply more from the Tally Ho sheet, and hope that a clear coat, soon after application, will hold them in place.
Once all the decals are on, the model just needs a matt clear coat, a little more dirt and staining, and the undercart, exhausts, prop and antenna mast etc to be fitted, so there's a slim chance it might be done by Sunday, but doubtful.

Yep, that's what I'm in the process of doing - placing the decals and then adding some clear acrylic gloss, letting them set for a few hours and then doing the next one, and so on.
It's time-consuming and a b@ll ache, but seems to be working.
Interesting to note that Hannant's no longer stock 'Tally Ho' decals ........... I wonder why !!?!!

Finally got the decals finished, with all stencils in place, and the 'replacement' serial number characters on the starboard side, which, so far, have remained in place. (note that the '8' on this side was covered by the code letter, although the forward edges might have just been visible - I might touch these in with paint.).
The 'Walk Outboard' and 'Walk Inboard' stencils were cut from the one-piece walkway decals from the kit sheet. The kit decals also provided the red 'Not To Be Walked On' warning stencils and dotted lines to go over the wheel well areas, but these appeared to be far to wide and, as they are hardly visible anyway, due to the colour, and the fact that I'm not sure they were actually applied to the Mk1, I decided to omit them.
The pics below were taken immediately after applying a further sealing coat of clear gloss acrylic, and they have since settled much more - with luck, there might not be any 'silvering'.
I'll let this settle and harden overnight, and then spray the clear matt coat tomorrow. With a bit of luck I might just get the final bits done by tomorrow night (Sunday).

Spit 72 Sqn build 186.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 187.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 191.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 194.JPG

Looks good Terry. Shouldn't the start of the "K" on the stbd side be in front of the leading edge of the tail plane?

Yes Andy, it should really be slightly further forward, although I have seen the serial numbers in a similar position.
My fault, as I should have applied the serials before the code letters, with the 'R' on the starboard side overlapping the last digit and part of the '3'.
As I'd already done the code letters. I had to compromise, and try to fit the main part of the serial into the available space !

The stencil decals seem to have settled under a gloss sealing coat, and the re-touching of the damaged fin flash has been done, along with a couple of other small points. I'm planning to get the matt clear coat sprayed later today, after allowing a few hours for the re-touched areas to fully harden.

Thanks Karl.
Haven't got the matt coat on yet - stretched out to read for a bit, and fell asleep !
Should get it done tomorrow, and maybe get the final bits done too.

Thanks Wayne.
Spent over two hours just getting the upper surfaces sprayed in the clear matt coat - had a problem with the air brush, with clogging. Stripped, cleaned, tested and sprayed the top side, then had enough.
Should get the underside done tomorrow, and another coat on the top, to even out the slightly patchy look. But there'll be some re-touching required around the serial number decals, as there's some silvering, as expected.
I'd hoped to get this finished tonight, ans then get the antenna wire fitted to the Heinkel, but it'll have to wait.

As mentioned, I had to re-touch around the serial numbers, and also around some of the kit stencils decals, due to silvering. Another clear matt coat has been applied and, although there's still some minor silvering, it's not too noticeable, and will have to do.
I'll leave the model overnight, in order to ensure the clear coat has fully hardened, and then do the final weathering tomorrow, and attach the remaining bits.
There's a slim chance I might get it finished by tomorrow night - if not, then it should be done by Monday, I hope !

Matt clear coat on, re-touched around serial numbers and the edges of some stencils and code letters, and masking removed.
The camera flash has 'illuminated' a couple of small areas of silvering, which, although not immediately apparent to the naked eye, have shown up in the photos.
I'll try to re-touch these areas again, and then attach the final bits.
Might get it finished by Monday or Tuesday.

Spit 72 Sqn build 201.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 200.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 199.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back