GB-39 1:72 Henschel Hs 123A-1 - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Brigadier General
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
User Name: A4K
Name: Evan
Category: 2 - Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Kit: Fly #72-008: Henschel Hs 123A
Accessories: Xtradecal X72280: Henschel HS 123A-1 & B-1,Yahu YMA7300: Henschel Hs 123 (pre-painted PE instrument panel)

Always loved the Hs 123... and this kit looks so lovely it should be an almost totally OOB build for once!
Build subject will be Henschel Hs 123A-1 L2+AC, flown by II. (Sch.)/ LG 2 Gruppen Kommandeur Hauptmann Otto Weiss during the French campaign in May 1940.

Pics up when batteries charge, our camera eats them...

Last edited:
Cheers guys, was considering a Belgian Battle from the Airfix kit, but too much work in correction and detailing - the P-51B is still keeping me busy enough there! This is a 'relief build', parts seem to be 'just right' as they are.

The kit:

STA56857.JPG

STA56858.JPG

Good stuff Wayne!

There are 7 or so kits in 4 brands available for 1:72 builders (of which I have 3 :) ): Airfix, Avis, A-Model and now Fly.
The Airfix offering is the oldest, and was the only one available in any scale up until about 10 years ago. It's still not bad at all, but not as good as current releases, due to obvious advances in fine detail moulding.
The next (in 1:72) was the Avis kit which is very nice, but recently surpassed by the Fly kit, which is LOVELY! The Avis kits are purely injected, save for the windshield, while the Fly kits come with all those lovely resin and PE parts.
The A-model kit seems to be based on (or a direct copy of) the Avis kits, though they also have an Hs 123C which is listed as 'new tool' on the scalemates site. Haven't seen that kit personally to comment.

Hoping to make a start on the cockpit tomorrow, and might even do a side by side build of the kits I have.

Not much progress guys sorry, turning the study/storage room into Noah's new bedroom in preparation for Keira's arrival... (Yep, it's a girl!)
That means any modelmaking will be back on the kitchen table again... not the best set up...

So far removed the kit cockpit parts for a little extra detailing (not much thankfully), pics up when something to show!

Cheers guys! :)
Didn't have the room long, but what a great luxury... still had to pack up everything to protect it from 3 year old fingers though!

BTW, how did yas manage painting with young kids in the house?

I was a brush painter in the way back when up until the not too distant past so it was easy for me. When the grandkid camped here for two years I finally had my own room in the basement and could run an airbrush without bother

Cheers Geo and Andy, appreciate your comments!

I've only airbrushed 5 kits so far, but the results have kicked my (model) brush painting in the butt big time. Looking at options on how to continue that, as the kitchen table is out of the question. An art gallery up the road sometimes has rooms to rent, so I will see what they have to say.

Yeah, gets pretty warm your way Wayne! :)

No shed here unfortunately, we're lucky to even have the very small garden that we do. Most flats don't.

I may have to abandon my beloved enamels for acrylics (atleast for airbrushing) to remove the smell side of the problem atleast, then try to find a way to reduce the compressor noise so I can paint when Noah is asleep... any ideas welcomed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back