GB-39.........

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The kit decals are good Bill with the exception of Option 3

The one I wanted to do, out of the time frame...

Geo, good to know.
Do you still intend to do the D.520 for this GB?
If so which of the two is your preference, white 3 or red 30?
I'm happy to take the other. Was looking for some other markings, but I don't have a private income!!!!

Cheers, Bill

Many of the units passed to the LW were onsold to axis satellites, including at least 50 to Italy in 1942 and Rumania at about the same time. however I believe most of these a/c transfers were from seized stocks after the Nazis overran Vichy on the continent. .
Rumania (Romania) never received, had or used any D.520 - this is one of the "urban legends" from older sources (pre-internet). Bulgaria (as Axis-country) received 100 D.520 from Germany in 2 batches during 1943. At least 46 of them were from Vichy stocks (the factory in St.Martin du Touche).
The above has nothing to do with the main thread, so I apologize for the spam.

Rumania (Romania) never received, had or used any D.520 - this is one of the "urban legends" from older sources (pre-internet). Bulgaria (as Axis-country) received 100 D.520 from Germany in 2 batches during 1943. At least 46 of them were from Vichy stocks (the factory in St.Martin du Touche).
The above has nothing to do with the main thread, so I apologize for the spam.

I meant to go back and fix this error, but just forgot to. The D-520 was indeed never used by the Rumanians, but it was used extensively by the Bulgarians

Not a lot of after-market decals out there in the right time period. I think I'll take a stab at "Red 30", the looooong red fuselage stripe has disaster written all over it. Hoping to get to PG sometime this week and get some Vallejo paints...

upload_2018-8-1_11-2-15.png

....not saying these will be totally accurate but every color for these kites are Tamiya mixes though I did see that some could be used straight up. I'll have to research a bit more on the paint options

Cool Geo, I'll do the "3".
As for the red stripe, a strip of red Decal would be easiest for me.
For colors I found this on the www
Are these Model Master colors?
cammo01.jpg

I did find this sheet of decals.
Dewoitine D.520_GC.1-3_1940_Berna Decals 1-48_ref.48133  _001.jpg

Last edited:
So maybe I've misinterpreted the theme of this GB. The thread titles are now using the term "Battle for France to Battle of Britain". Does that mean that BoB subjects are included? Wayne has proposed Galland's 109 as seen in September 1940 but I though we were dealing with the period up to the fall of France.

Mmmm..... well like George I thought it encompassed both periods giving plenty of scope for would be entrants, even though so far we are a tad low in expected numbers.

So what's the verdict or interpretation for the timeframe of this GB, talk to me Guys...

Humm.. I think parsifal parsifal ( Michael ) should post his opinion here firstly. As memo serves his entry is a Spit of the early BoB time. However here in Poland the expression "to" would indicate the moment for stopping. So it would be the beginning of the BoB. Additionally the BoB GB is planned as the GB 45 Split Build - Battle of Britain / Aircraft in Foreign Service and Minor Nations (incl Lend Lease). However if we want to have more entries for the GB, the BoB period can be included for the GB39 , no ptoblemo at my end.

I agree and like Wayne I thought there would be a few more participants. I click into the Visitors Section quite a bit and always notice new members checking out the GB section. Also several in the Start to Finish section as well

I guess I'm fine with it if it brings in more participants but remember that we just had a BoB theme as part of GB 37. Michael's entry is fine for a Battle of France theme as 610 Squadron covered the evacuation of Dunkirk.

I was hoping to see a lot more unusual entries for this GB covering French, Belgian, and Dutch entries rather then the omnipresent 109s and Spits but if it's more participation we are after and if this is the way to do it then I won't stand in the way.

I also thought it included the BoB.
If I have time, I might have my JU-88 thread, from GB38, moved to GB39 - it's a BoB subject, but also fought in the Battle of France. and at Dunkirk.
Been busy with other things, so haven't had time to start the build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back