GB-41 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M5c - PTO from 1937 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
Username: Parsifal
First name: Michael
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Aftermarket addons: (leftover} Yahu harness (maybe)
Yahu A6M IP (Green background)

This was a kit very kindly gifted to me by Wayne. Very much appreciated. Not sure how I stand with decals just yet, but I think it will be okay.

I have pn order an IP with green background by Yahu. ive no idea if this is authentic, but it will at least look cool

This kit is in 1/48th scale, and looks very good to me with a mix of recessed and raised panel lines, good levels of detailing and no warps or bumps that I can see.

Some pics
Aftermarket IP.jpg

Box Art.jpg

Box Shot 1.jpg

Box Shot 2.jpg

Box Shot 3.jpg

Box Shot 4.jpg

Decals.jpg

A you tube video review of the kit

Last edited:
The first task im going to tackle is the engine detailing . The kit includes some detailed instructions on how best to produce that detail. It involves stretched sprue for the pushrods and 0.2mm copper wire . I need to master the art of making stretched sprue, wthout burning the workshop down. I need 28 x 5.4mmx0.4mm lengths for the front pushrods, There are ??mmx0.2mmx14 pieces of copper wire for the front engine, and 14 for the rear. Copper ignition wires run up the right hand pushrod at the front, and the left side (assume that's when viewed from front to back). Need to drill small 0.3mm holes into the rocker arms to house the ignition wires. Also need 0.4mm stretched sprue is also used to simulate the oil line that joins each rocker box of the engine.

The following is a detail if the similar Twin Wasp to get some idea of what I need to aim for.

1551178077598.png

This detail shows the pushrods as anodised metal, and the ignition wires as a copper or brass looking colour. Engine cylinders are anodised alloy. Bell housing is shown engine grey.

Kit painting instructions only say the cylinders and engine block are painted X10 Gunmetal, the bell housing XF20 Medium Grey and the push rods and ignition housing Flat Aluminium
XF16.

I still have to master the sprue making and source the fine diameter copper wire

Nice Michael. Stepping up a scale. I have two of these and will not be using the decals so if you want them they are yours. I used XF-56 Metallic Grey on my George. I think it give a nice oily look. Looking at your engine above, my colours are reversed for the cylinders

Decals would help. Not sure if have my postal address, if not I will PM you

Its a very generous offer BTW

So I didn't spend a lot of time this evening, but I think I have mastered the art of stretched sprue

The stretched sprue for this engine upgrade needs tp be 0.4mm diameter. For reference ive included two lengths of steel tube, one is 0.3mm and the other is 0.5mm . I don't have a micrometer or vernier, but just going by eye I think my sprue diameter is close to 0.4mm
stretched sprue.jpg

Oh, and the bonus is I didn't burn down my workshop...….

Was looking in the wrong location. I'll send the decals out Monday and I'll post a copy of the markings from the instruction sheet here when I get home tonight. I'll make it in PDF form

Beautiful choice, Michael.
It seems that it will be an entertaining project to follow closely. Long live the detailed! \\:D/

Saludos amigo :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back