GB-41 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M5c - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ive gotten a lot less done this weekend than I would like, but this IP thing has me a little spooked, and I have approached the whole thing very carefully. I also wanted better results with my cockpit detailing than I achieved with my engine detailing

Work done so far has turned outpretty satisfactorily. got some distance to go though...……

Cockpit stbd side.jpg

Cockpit side walls. Very basic, but I like that bare metal finish effect and slightly darkened raised details

Cockpit bath 3.jpg

I added some further details to the port side and applied the semi metallic finishes to the furniture on the starboard side. I also added some starboard side levers. I might also add some fuel lines that are visible on the starboard side cabin floor

Cockpit bath 2.jpg

ive also added some details to the port side, adding new throttle controls and other switches aft the pilot seat. I used a thin wash of Tamiya Smoke to grime up the flooring .

Off to the side you can see the pilot seat. ive drilled the holes in the back area of the pilots seat.

IP-1.jpg

After inspecting the IP face more closely, I realised that the film was reinforced at the back by some sort of bonded PE backing, which at the rear allowed the false horizon instrument to be lifted and sort of 'swung out of the way. I did this, and put together that weird part from the PE sheet. I needed to excavate a fair bit of the console face but it worked. to maintain the structural integrity of the IP I reinforced the rear of the IP with a small piece of styrene card. There was a lot of fiddling about to get the excavation the right size. I had to be very careful in all of this

IP-2.jpg

IP dryy fitted to the excavated console. I like the raised detail effect but that recessed horizon thingy isn't quite as good as I'd hoped

Last edited:
Looking good Michael. But did you use a such dark green for the cockpit? IMHO it is too dark and should be made a little bit lighter for the scale effect. But now just leave it as it is.. as I said it looks good. :thumbright:

It does look too dark. Once again im going to sheet blame on the kit instructions. They specify XF-5 for the cockpit interior, which this is. But it does look way too dark I agree

I see. It is quite common that the kit manufacturter suggests a colour set of tones very close or not to the true paints. But you have to keep in mind that these true colours look differently if you paint a surface of ten square meters and of one square centimeter. Just the general dea of painting of models is to make these surfaces that are closer to your eyes lighter while those farther form you darker.

Have had a bit of a health issue the last couple of days. Very high levels alpottasium....source uncertain......but this slows pulse and no to dangerous levels. I'm getting older and not healthier. Out of the immediate woods for now but still trying to work out why this happened. ave anything lIm taking the momoents to cosider my work future.i could retire to concentrate on health issues at this point and I really don't have anything left to prove with work.

Before all this arose I had all but finisheffitting of the am up. When I get a discharge I will post some progress shots.

I'm very sorry to hear that Michael. But I understand you. I have the same. The high level of potassium can be caused either by the kidneys or the liver. Have you checked on the ALAT, ASPAT and GGTP markers for the liver and the GFR , creatinine, urea and uric acid? If these are fine I would suggest checking on the thyroid with the TSH, FT3 FT4 and PTH. Especially the level of the PTH. The hormone is very "bitchy" if its level is excidded. It causes the heartbeat going down and wrong work just of the kidneys and liver.

Get well soon , my friend. :wave:

I am out now and recovering. I don't have a bad heart, but my kidneys are not good.. Combined with the dodgy fluid tablets and one of the BP meds I was taking, both my heart tate and my BP dropped to dangerous levels after my Pottasium levels rocketed upwards. The whole situation was made worse by very poor respiration and very low saturation oxygen levels, or sats. I was basically suffocating last Friday, made worse by the whole thing happening at my workplace.

I have a VPAP (somehow that's meant to stand for Variable Pressure Pump....more goes in and less goes out) machine , though still calibrating it to my metabolism. Sats have improved from a morbid 51% during sleep, to maintaining over 89%. K levels have normalised from 7.8 mmoles to 3.4mmoles. Pulse and respiration have all normalised Im bounding around the property like a 17 yo at the moment. My work want a WH&S plan before I can go back to work, but I should have that early next week.

Ive even managed some surther baby steps on this build, more or less completed the cockpit bath and IP. I hope to post some progress shots tomorrow.

Its nice to be back. I appreciate thius place more now than I ever did.

So kidneys.. I understand you dear friend. I've already had the pottasium level high twice. However all is fine at the moment. But still having a trouble with ionized calcium level instead. Too low or at the low level.
Get well Pal.

Great work Michael and I do hope you are feeling better. The only problem I have with Tamiya is that they suggest their paints and they are close but not always there. The cockpit is really looking great and I don't know the Japanese color schemes.

I stumbled across this detail from the following site. This appears to be copy protected material, si I want to fully acknowledge the source:

Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero | 1:16 Model

Some excellent 3 d drawings of the arrangements aft the cabin are provided

My next job is to try a bit of scratch building forwardof the IP in the top deck areanear where the 7.7mm guns are located and also the equipment (mostly oxygen supply) aft the rear firewall of the cockpit. Hence my trolling for details of these areas on the net.

However before launching into these tasks, its high time for me to post some progress shots.....

Cockpit bath 4.jpg

Cockpit bath is only dry fitted, but the IP has now been installed .The IP is sitting a little proud of the kit backing board, but Im not worried about that as this imperfection wont be visible once I button up the two fuselage halves

Cockpit bath 5.jpg

Im really happy with how busy and sort of chaotic the cockpit has turned out. that's exactly the effect I was looking for

Cockpit bath 6.jpg

A close upof the IP. In the finish I left off some PE switches, which, try as I might, I could not get to stan properly off the dash faces.

Im not happy with the blob of plastic used to represent the mg breech. If I can source an aftermarket alternative at a reasonable price, I might replace it

Cockpit bath 7.jpg

Im happy with the way the harness turned out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back