GB-41 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M5c - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy, good information about the light sanding, but in my case, if I do sand back at all, it will have to be a super light sanding. The rivet effects are so light and faint already, and for most of it Im yet to apply the top coat paint finishes. Normally painting over a roughened surface will accentuate the ridges, but these ridges are just so faint already. Ive made the riveting effects a very light touch because I was mindful of your advice about keeping everything restrained. I also kept the riveting pattern and density of the linework really sparse for the same reason (plus the whole exercise is a bit of a challenge to keep straight and neat).

Ive got the fuselage closed up, the wings and tail on and the seams dressed and ready for painting except for a small area near the starboard side wing roots. The upper and lower wing halves didn't go together all that well, but the issues were resolved pretty easily with filler. I used a new product that I bought the other day, called Tamiya Polyfiller which was better than the older standard bog ive been using previously.

I'm not quite ready to post photos just yet, but soon. I want to get the top coats of the outer skin done and also finish the top decking of the cockpit, including the headrest. I wasn't sure what colours to select but the following image provides a pretty good idea.

https://www.recoverycurios.com/mitsubishi-a6m5c-zero-revell-172-scale

Zeke cockpit colours.jpg

I will post some interim progress shots maybe tonight, but it looks a bit rough at the moment.

The main part of the fuselage, the wings, the cockpit and the tail are together and painted. Its a good paint job, allowing the surface detail Ive added to be clearly seen the colour Ive applied is just too light, which places me in two minds on whether to respray or not . If I respray I risk all that surface detail …..
Fuselage 1.jpg

Fuselage 2.jpg

Fuselage 3.jpg

Fuselage 4.jpg

Fuselage 5.jpg

I made the decision to go the colour that I did, based principally on the jacket design of HP Wilmotts book of all things

Wilmotts Zeke image.jpg

The scratch built details Ive added to the fuselage mounted MG are visible, but hard to pick out with the poor quality images I am able to produce.

I now have to make a decision about how to finish the REVI gun sight. Do I just paint the lower half black as is suggested in the kit, or do I attemot something more ambitious......
Gunsight 1.jpg

And I am so over my crappy camera...…...

Last edited:
I gots nuttin'

1555181044796.png

I had some week spots on my George as well, allowing some of the aluminum to barely show through. I debated about overspraying again and did and now regret it as it looked exactly as worn paint should look. When the photos finally appear we'll see

I deleted then reloaded the images because they seemed to double up for some reason. Should be able to see them now Geo

So here are some images of the A6M gunsight, mores correctly known as the type 98 II Navy type gunsight

Images and video sources are as indicated

Japanese navy type 98 Gunsight - Bing video

This website shows the Type 98 as fitted to the Zeke to be finished in grey. There is a secondary wire crosshair site on the left side

This image is from the Smithsonian institute. I do not have their permission to use the image, but i believe i may use the image for research purposes

Type 98 Gunsight (source Smithsonian).jpg

The image from the Smithsonian suggests no crosshair sight, and an overall gunmetal finish There is a crash cushion at the back as well as some sort of adjusting knob below that sponge material. Im inclined favour tthis image as the likley most accurate one.

Finally there is this rendered drawing, which I cannot now find the source for. I apologise to whoever owns this image

Type 98 Gunsight (source Internet).jpg

I like this image because it is clear and simple to understand. As can be seen, however, it suggest the instrument was finished in IJN grey which I just don't think is accurat.

The kit supplied sight is provided as an allover clear part . This presents a minor prblem. If I try to paint the thing in gunmetal, it will finish in rather patchy fashion. If i paint the thing black and then over paint in gunmetal, the gunmetal effect will be losts. Im thinking a grey basecoat, with gunmetal top layer . Will test and see.

Last edited:
Here is a diagram that come in handy. As far as the colour of the gunsight is concerned... I would say the black ( graphite or burnished aluminium ) is more likely than the grey.

zero gunsight.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

Here is a shot of the cockpit with the gunsight seen at the top patially. Its tone suggest a darker colour than the one used for the cockpit interior. Also it looks much darker than the IJN Grey coat IMHO.

A6M_Zero_Reisen_cockpit_V-172.jpg

the pic source: Mitsubishi A6M Zero Zeke fighter | World War Photos

Also the enlarged shot indicates the black ( very dark ) colour..

A6M5_Zero_Saipan_1944.jpg

the pic source: Mitsubishi A6M Zero Zeke fighter | World War Photos

This is what I finished up with. Fiddling with the phone camera I stumbled across a technique that greatly improves the quality of close ups. Trouble is those clear close up are brutal with revealing the model imperfections

Type 98 gunsight final 2.jpg
Type 98 gunsight final 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back