GB-41 1/48 P-38L - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello,

Thank you all for your help :)
I found this, a P-38L with wheel wells/landing gear color which seems like neutral grey
02866.jpg

And here, a P-38J/L ? with landing gear in "Alu" and wheel wells in neutral grey (I think)
06614.jpg

And maybe the same here:
07304.jpg

And here the same dark color on the landing gear as my project: maybe a very dirty neutral grey :?:
06635.jpg

:)

IMHO , yes these are of the NG colour. However the third ones shows the top part of the colour only. But the fork is of the NMF. I would say either it was repainted with the silver paint or the NG was removed entirely. To be honest the aluminium isn't the best metal background to be painted. Just all paints peel off quite quickly. So the maintenence crew could have decided to remove the paint and leave the NMF. The second pic seems to be diverted though. Below is the same but reversed.

06614a.jpg

Great choice Steph, I gthink I built one when I was too young to know what it was!!
Watching your build technique closely.......
with me good eye!

It is an extraordinary compilation of photographs, and those that are in color are formidable !.
I greatly admire the sources of information that everyone has! :salute: :notworthy: :salute:

Atento a lo que sigue... Lovely work so far Steph

Saludos :thumbup:

Just looking at the colour pics again, in Steph's post, and the one re-posted by Wojtek - although the wheel bays may be clear-coated aluminium, the inside of the nose bay door looks to me more like interior green, or maybe ZC. Definitely has a green tinge, rather than grey.
However, I found this shot, where the inside of the door looks like neutral grey.

Can Jan 581.jpg

Last edited:
and the one re-posted by Wojtek - although the wheel bays may be clear-coated aluminium, the inside of the nose bay door looks to me more like interior green, or maybe ZC. Definitely has a green tinge, rather than grey.

Do you mean the shot Terry? If you do please notice the front edge of the wheel door. I would say it's the NG colour. A little bit dirty but the grey one.

06614b.jpg

Hello,

Just a little technical note:
As stated in Mushrom 6109, the first P-38L-1-LOs were in the same configuration as the P-38J-25-LO except for the engines. So, no booster fuel pumps on my model...
Here is P-38L-1-LO SN44-24155 "Pudgy V" flown by T. B. McGuire late in 1944 => no booster fuel pumps
640-32abc0b50b34bba21b428286bcfe552c.jpg

Here is P-38L-1-LO SN44-24843 "Putt Putt Maru" flown by C. H. MacDonald in December 1944 => no booster fuel pumps
475th-3_zpsa7c48422.jpg

This problem is solved ! :)
But another problem, maybe on the very first P-38L-1-LO series, the landing light is under the left wing and not on the leading edge ?
No landing light visible on my project (SN44-23964)
Bong R. I.-P38L-1-LO (SN44-23964), novembre 1944_2.jpg

but visible on SN44-24843
MacDonald C. H.-P38L-1-LO 44-24843 (Putt Putt Maru 3) fin déc. 1944_1.JPG

I keep working (and searching :lol: )
:)

According to my references the landing light at the wing leading edge is the difference the L vaiant can be identified from the J version. I have seen a pic of P-38-1-LO 44-23856 and the plane had the ligh at the leading edge mounted like the 44-24843. So either the serial 44-23964 for the plane seen in your pic above is wrong and it could be the J variant or there wasn't any rule for attaching of the landing light initially.

BTW I have found the P-38-1-LO was from AF 44-23769 to 44-25058.

According to my references the landing light at the wing leading edge is the difference the L vaiant can be identified from the J version. I have seen a pic of P-38-1-LO 44-23856 and the plane had the ligh at the leading edge mounted like the 44-24843. So either the serial 44-23964 for the plane seen in your pic above is wrong and it could be the J variant or there wasn't any rule for attaching of the landing light initially.

BTW I have found the P-38-1-LO was from AF 44-23769 to 44-25058.

I think or I hope this is the case... Numerous (if not all) sources state this "yellow 42" is, with no doubt, SN44-23964, therefore a very early P-38L-1-LO (in the first 200 built). Maybe several first P-38L-1-LOs were build from P-38J-25-LOs with simply the new engines, as stated in Mushroom 6109 "P-38L-1-LO, virtually the same as P-38J-25-LO, except for the new engines".
Unless the photo has been retouched, there is no doubt about the absence of landing light on the wing leading edge. So my project will not have it and it will seems like a P-38J except by the serial number :crazy::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back