GB-42 1/72 Heinkel He 111H-6 - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
User Name: A4K
Name: Evan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Kit: Revell (ex-Hasegawa) #04377: Heinkel He 111H-6
Accessories:
CMK #7111: He 111P interior set (resin/ PE)
Eduard #73574: He 111H-6 interior set (PE)
Pmask #72038: He 111H-6 Painting mask

Yes...I am a glutton for punishment and will keep trying...

Will attempt to make the box art aircraft, He 111H-6 of 5./KG 26 "Löwen-Geschwader" (Lion-Wing) operating from Grosseto, Italy in December 1942.

STA56869.JPG

STA56870.JPG

Last edited:
Cheers Andy and Terry - hope she pans out this time!

The CMK cockpit should save alot of time, if it's suitable for an -H model (set is for the He 111P). Ordered a Pmask masking set for the glasswork too.
Biggest concern at moment is the lack of detail in the radio compartment, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Last edited:
Agreed Steph, not often seen in MTO pics! ( Merci Google translate :) ) Haven't been able to find photos of my specific subject yet either.

Ordered an Eduard PE set for the cockpit and radio bay details. It is designed for the Airfix kit, but should do the job with a few scratchbuilt items added. Cockpit-wise, some of these parts will replace any CMK 111P components that may be incorrect for an H-6.

Will also be scavenging bits from my Roden He 111B, namely the ESAC bomb cells as they are empty (the H-6 mostly used external stores, but Revell/ Hasegawa have bombs moulded in the cells), and probably the u/c wells which are beautifully - and fully - detailed.

Last edited:
Cheers Wayne, be nice to join yas again!

Won a bid on E-bay for a lovely set of resin He 111H u/c and wells today! Absolutely rapt, the 111B gets to keep hers now :)

A mate's kindly lending me his new tool Airfix kit too, so I'll be able to measure up their radio bay components. This should help things immensely!

Last edited:
Cheers, and cheers for looking anyway Geo, much appreciated!

Google is drawing a blank too so far, but Revell must have based it on something - I presume there is a photo around somewhere! (Did find one of another aircraft from this unit, but not this particular bird)

Well, there was a rather entertaining series of posts over at Bustedwing's thread when he did his Ju88. A member, now banned, claimed (perhaps correctly but in a belligerent way) that Revell made up the colour scheme for its subject so maybe....

Cheers, and cheers for looking anyway Geo, much appreciated!

Google is drawing a blank too so far, but Revell must have based it on something - I presume there is a photo around somewhere! (Did find one of another aircraft from this unit, but not this particular bird)

I think the Revell based on the well known pic of the 1H+GP. However I think it is wrong with the colour of the engine cowling and rudder. So I agree with Andy's opinion.

1-Heinkel-He-111H6-6.KG26-(1H+GP)-Italy-1942-01a.jpg

the pic source: https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/He-111/...el-He-111H6-6.KG26-(1H+GP)-Italy-1942-0A.html

Would all the squadron aircraft have the same colour or is it the unit? Not really up on Luftwaffe bomber codes. Using Evans box art..."1H" is for Kg.26, the "N" is for the 5. squadron and the "F" is the aircraft itself.

It looks like all planes there. The "P" letter was for the 6 squadron wile the "K" for the 2 one and "L" for the 3. for instance.

Guys... thanks a million for the heads up and feedback!
Personally I never trust kit painting instructions anyway, so always try to find original photographs if possible.

I definitely want to stick to this paintscheme, so have just ordered a set of Xtradecal markings for 1H+GP in Wojtek's post #14.
Also won a bid on a CMK He 111H-6 cockpit set today, which will save the -P set for when I do a Hungarian bird...

Wojtku, looking at your pic in post #16, I think the lighter elevator colour is exhaust staining from the engines. As for the theatre markings, it looks as though they were whitewashed, like the tyres. This may explain the tonal difference, as they would not be as hardwearing as production paints, and fade out quicker. Also, the G in 1H+GP is Yellow, and *seems to be* darker than the cowlings and rudder. Will check Kenneth Merrick's book to see what he says on MTO paintschemes.

Don - If you don't need them yourself, I would gladly take you up on that offer please! Please let me know if there's anything I can trade you in return.

Cheers again guys, all much appreciated!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back