**** DONE: GB-42 1/72 Beaufighter Mk.VI - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:thumbright:

Just out of curiosity.. have you attached the engine air intakes yet? Are you sure the engine front cowling can fit them?

Last edited:
Masked and ready, glass is just held in place for now.
GB42-14.jpg

Wurger, is this what you are referring to?
GB42-15.jpg

Yes that's it Bill. Are the air intakes moulded with the wing together or these are separate parts?

Am in a color choice quandry........painting of the engine covers on my Beaufighter.

The called for color of the fronts, and exhausts always calls for "burnt iron" and all I ever see is a bright Copper color.

Referring to the photo in my GB post, it's planely a dark bronze sorta metallic. Which I think looks a bit less cartoonish !!!!!

Opinions??????

As memo serves the exhaust manifold was a metal alloy of magnesium and latten initially. Hence the metal brass tone there. Later the steel was used. But the overheating made them looking darker ( burnt steel ) and the moisture caused getting the rusty ( brownish ) tinge. The dark colour could be caused if it was painted black for instance but again the overheating and the weather conditions made them looking rusty-brown. Anyway, the longer time of burning the darker colour becomes.

Here are two , quite well known pics of the 272 squadron Beaufighter. Please note the difference in colours of the exhaust manifolds for both engines. IMHO the starboard light one is made of steel and wasn't painted ( possible it was just replaced ) while the port one seems to be either of the metal alloy and burnt or burnt steel but in use for longer time. Anyway I would suggest mixing of the brown and silver colours in order to get the matalic tone or using of a burnt steel/iron coat.

beau_1a.jpg

beau_1.jpg

Here two images of the effect of the burnt steel

burnt steel_F100-Super-Sabre1.jpg

burnt steel_F100-Super-Sabre2.jpg

the pic source: Modelarstwo z pasją • Zobacz wątek - F-100D Super Sabre // Trumpeter // 1:48

One of the nice looking colours I could recommend , is the Alclad ALC-121 Burnt Iron paint.

alclad ALC-121 Burnt Iron.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back