**** DONE: GB-42 1/72 Dornier Do 24T - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ever had so much coming at you, you don't know whether to F, S or Duck ? I should go back to work, it was easier ! Well I freed up some time on this kit. Got the exhausts hollowed out and the turrets masked off and painted. Masking the turrets was a pain, the lines on the frames are so fine it's hard to see them through aluminum tape, a credit to Italeri but not so easy to cut out. Fuselage should go together tomorrow. There's some very long PE bits that need to be bent as well, not sure how I'll deal with that when I get to it. Well here's a few pics,viewer discretion advised. They seem to ad that warning to everything these days ?

Do24T (40)r.jpg
Do24T (41)r.jpg

Do24T (47)r.jpg

Do24T (50).JPG

Nice work Graham. Never thought to use aluminum tape as masks.
I like it because it sticks, when you burnish it down you can see the frames through it but most important, it can be burnished down over compound curves and when you go to cut it it doesn't ooze around on it's film of sticky stuff. How people use that Tamiya stuff is beyond me, I've had no luck with that stuff ! Now if I can just get it done by the deadline !

Attachments

• Ju88A-4 (34)r.jpg
    Ju88A-4 (34)r.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 52
pity of those opaque crystals, has thought at least polish them inside may gain some eye-catching.

Engines and upper wing is done. Fuselage is ready for masking and painting. The " chine" on the top of the fuselage is PE and 0.2mm Thick ! I had a hell of a time trying to bend it even after annealing it. I ended up turning it into a hockey stick. I made a little brake out of some angle stock and managed to straighten it out ok after a bit of filing and sanding. The one thing that has become apparent is aligning the wing to the fuselage is going to be a horror show as there are no location marks for the struts to the wing !

braker.jpg

Do24T (54)r.jpg

Good stuff, and I like the use of the aluminium tape as masks, as yes, the Tamiya type can slide around, especially when small strips are used.
Once removed, does the aluminium tape leave any glue residue ?

Good stuff, and I like the use of the aluminium tape as masks, as yes, the Tamiya type can slide around, especially when small strips are used.
Once removed, does the aluminium tape leave any glue residue ?

It doesn't, however I have noticed sometimes it seems to dull any future you have applied to the clear parts before hand. I usually just wipe it off with a cotton swab dipped in ammonia and then re apply the Future with a paint brush. Doesn't happen all the time though ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back