GB-42 MTO II (incl Greece, Crete & Malta, Africa and Middle East)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
But a month away, What's on your mind, I'm looking at an ERTL A-20B/C, Monogram B-25J, Tamiya P-47D, and or a Tamiya Fi156C Storch. That's my short list. Not sure where to go from there
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

I do like your bottom option. :twisted: As for me, I have several captured 109s and 190s, just have to make sure they are in the correct theatre. This goes for the Storch as well. I have an Re.2002 but I was reading last night that there are profile and fit issues with it. I believe there are resin corrections. I wouldn't mind trying a Malta Spitfire and my rendition of the nightmare blue colour. Might be other options as well

I found another one for the A-20B which I like, but I'll have to do my own markings. It's one if the profiles in the "in action" book.

Here is another A-20B I might have to look at. It's from the 111th BS which is now the 111 RS at Ellington Field Texas Air National Guard. It was the 111 FS with F-16's until they switched to Predator drones. They are known as the Ace in the hole squadron and I did not know they flew A-20's, I did know they flew A-36's though in MTO.

A26001.jpg

Speaking of the 111th Observation Squadron, I also have an AM F-6A in their markings. Could be interesting to do a couple of their birds!

I've actually found a photo of Beurling's BR130 which is similar to the profile above in that it does have the replacement panel on the cowling. I'll need to order white code letters. Would these be 30"? Another question, the bottom colour in the photo looks lighter than azure blue; photo glitch or was it one of those sky blue/sky grey colors? My plan, right or wrong, is to paint the aircraft in desert camo and then mist a bluish colour over it. Photo here.....https://www.worldwarphotos.info/wp-..._Mk_VC_BR130_T-D_249_Sqn_at_Ta_Kali_Malta.jpg I'll post it when I start my GB thread once I clear ownership of it. Pretty sure it's Public Domain and the original was from the IWM. There's actually two Wiki sites for the photo, one mentioning RAF Ta Kali and the other saying the photo was taken at RAF Krendi, both on Malta.

Im not sure about whether one of my possible nominations will fit the bill, so I will throw it open for a bit of discussion. I have a 1/48 bf109g by ARII. one of the schemes is a G-6 TROP from 7/JG27, which the historical blurb says was based at vienna. however my own research has that unit in northern Italy, probably near Verona at that time. The camo scheme shows a white MTO theatre band. The unit was moving around a lot at that time

The other kit I have is an embarrassment. its a Lindbergh HS129. 1/72 scale. kits will normally have about a 100 components ….this one has 44.....it has no cockpit details and many of its external details are either missing or wrong. I plan to try and do something with this kit,

Anyway, any advice about the 109.......

yes I think so. The image you provided that link to and my kit supplied profile are similar. the date given for your profile is 1944, and the location is Kalamaki, Greece, mine is 1943 (and a separate B&W line drawing saying 1942, (location undecipherable, written in Japanese), with the kit supplied colour plate saying "near Vienna". I think that is a mistake. I think it was based at verona at the time specified.

Between your image and mine the tail flash is different and yours is showing number 4 a/c ID mine is number 8.
Internet source.jpg

Kit profile.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back