GB-43 1/48 Heinkel He 51 - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainly28s

Senior Airman
Jun 19, 2015
South-East UK
mainly28s.com
User Name: Mainly28s
Name: Olaf
Category: Beginner
Kit: Classic Airframes Heinkel He 51
Scale: 1/48
Accessories: Assorted decals (I'm still going to choose whichever of the two He 51s I can do, as I have two possibles).

I have a small dilemma. I cannot specify which plane I will be completing, as I'm awaiting my decals. Either way, I have to choose either He-51 I/JG 132- Kurt von Döring (A1+ ) or He-51 Stab II/JG 134- Theo Osterkamp (< - + ). Both pilots were aces in WWI, and the listed aircraft were attributed to them in 1936/7. Funny enough, though, someone posted a picture of von Döring's machine earlier today.

Meanwhile, here is a set of pictures of the kit...

He-51 01- Box.jpg
He-51 02- Content 1.jpg
He-51 03- Content 2.jpg

Here's my first few steps- interior painted with RLM 02, fuselage joined and lower wing and tail attached.
He-51 04- 1st Steps.jpg

I tested the Spitfire pilot, and he won't work, so I found a spare elsewhere- unknown provenance.
I also discovered that I seem to be missing a few exhaust pipes!

My decals have arrived- I think I will be going with Major Theo Osterkamp's machine.

He-51 05- Colours- Eric Mombeek Luftwaffe Colours- Birth of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force.jpg

(Illustration from Eric Mombeek's Classic Colours- Luftwaffe Colours- Birth of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force)
Theodor "Theo" Osterkamp (15 April 1892 – 2 January 1975) was a German fighter pilot during WWI and WWII. An ace, he achieved 32 victories in World War I. In World War II, he led JG 51 through the Battle of Britain and claimed a further 6 victories, in the process becoming one of only a few men to score victories in both world wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back