GB-43 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Mosquito FB.VI
Aftermarket Add-ons: Eduard PE Cockpit Set, Aviaeology decals (if I can find them!)

The subject of this build will be a Mosquito FB.VI flown by W/C Russ Bannock DSO DFC of 418 Squadron RCAF. I anticipate a slow start to this project and completion of the build will be contingent on me being able to secure a set of Aviaeology decals (sheet AOD48005m) which I've been looking for for some time without success. I've written to Terry Higgins at Aviaeology to see if he can help.

mosquito-fbvi-wc-russell-bannock-no-418-rcaf-squadron-1944.jpg

A short summary of Bannock's career follows and is copied from Bannock, Russell - TracesOfWar.com :

Russell Bannock was born in Edmonton in 1919, and worked as a commercial pilot before the Second World War.
After entering the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), he received his wings in 1940 and was appointed as an instructor at Trenton, Ontario. Later he was posted to Royal Air Force Ferry Command from June to August 1942.
In September 1942, Bannock became chief instructor with the Flying Instructor School at Arnprior in Ontario. Bannock's request for overseas service was approved in 1944 and he joined 60 Operational Training Unit based in High Ercall, England.
In June 1944, Bannock was transferred to No. 418 Squadron RCAF, flying intruder missions over Europe with the de Havilland Mosquito Mk VI fighter-bomber. He quickly proved skilled at this type of operation and achieved his first victories. In October 1944, he took command of the squadron.
Bannock also flew operations against the German V-1s launched against London and southern England. On one mission he shot down four V-1s in one hour. He became known as the "Saviour of London" as a result of his success. Bannock was transferred to No. 406 Squadron RCAF in November 1944 as commanding officer
By April 1945, Bannock had destroyed 11 enemy aircraft (including 2 on the ground), 4 damaged in the air and 19.5 V-1's destroyed.
Bannock became Director of Operations, RCAF Overseas Headquarters, in London in May 1945 until September 1945 when he attended the Royal Air Force Staff College.
Retiring from the RCAF in 1946, he joined the de Havilland Aircraft Company as chief test pilot, flying prototypes like the Beaver and various short take-off and landing aircraft. In 1950 Bannock became Director of Military Sales and later Vice President. In 1968 he formed his own consulting business, Bannock Aerospace Ltd.
In 1956, Bannock was appointed an associate fellow of the Canadian Aeronautical Institute. He was also chairman of the Canadian Aerospace Industries Association's Export Committee 1964-- -1968, and was a director from 1976-1977. Bannock was also President of the Canadian Fighter Pilots Association.

Bannock is still alive and well and resides in Toronto. He will turn 100 this year.

Last edited:
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Mosquito FB.VI
Aftermarket Add-ons: Aviaeology decals (if I can find them!)

The subject of this build will be a Mosquito FB.VI flown by W/C Russ Bannock DSO DFC of 418 Squadron RCAF. I anticipate a slow start to this project and completion of the build will be contingent on me being able to secure a set of Aviaeology decals (sheet AOD48005m) which I've been looking for for some time without success. I've written to Terry Higgins at Aviaeology to see if he can help.

View attachment 547200

A short summary of Bannock's career follows and is copied from Bannock, Russell - TracesOfWar.com :

Russell Bannock was born in Edmonton in 1919, and worked as a commercial pilot before the Second World War.
After entering the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), he received his wings in 1940 and was appointed as an instructor at Trenton, Ontario. Later he was posted to Royal Air Force Ferry Command from June to August 1942.
In September 1942, Bannock became chief instructor with the Flying Instructor School at Arnprior in Ontario. Bannock's request for overseas service was approved in 1944 and he joined 60 Operational Training Unit based in High Ercall, England.
In June 1944, Bannock was transferred to No. 418 Squadron RCAF, flying intruder missions over Europe with the de Havilland Mosquito Mk VI fighter-bomber. He quickly proved skilled at this type of operation and achieved his first victories. In October 1944, he took command of the squadron.
Bannock also flew operations against the German V-1s launched against London and southern England. On one mission he shot down four V-1s in one hour. He became known as the "Saviour of London" as a result of his success. Bannock was transferred to No. 406 Squadron RCAF in November 1944 as commanding officer
By April 1945, Bannock had destroyed 11 enemy aircraft (including 2 on the ground), 4 damaged in the air and 19.5 V-1's destroyed.
Bannock became Director of Operations, RCAF Overseas Headquarters, in London in May 1945 until September 1945 when he attended the Royal Air Force Staff College.
Retiring from the RCAF in 1946, he joined the de Havilland Aircraft Company as chief test pilot, flying prototypes like the Beaver and various short take-off and landing aircraft. In 1950 Bannock became Director of Military Sales and later Vice President. In 1968 he formed his own consulting business, Bannock Aerospace Ltd.
In 1956, Bannock was appointed an associate fellow of the Canadian Aeronautical Institute. He was also chairman of the Canadian Aerospace Industries Association's Export Committee 1964-- -1968, and was a director from 1976-1977. Bannock was also President of the Canadian Fighter Pilots Association.

Bannock is still alive and well and resides in Toronto. He will turn 100 this year.

Hi Andy, great info, I like to hear or read about the folk to whom we owe so much.
I'm new to the forum so still feeling my way around. Is there a thread that explains how the group builds go?
Thanks.
Alan.

Hello Alan and thanks for your interest. Karl posted a general link but I wrote the following for necomers to the group builds that should give you all the info you need to join:

Modellers Wanted! Group Build Invitation

Thanks Andy? (Tryin' to get all the names and handles connected) that all made it clear. I'm just getting back into modeling after a very long hiatus. I've restarted with a model, Revell 1/32 Mossie, that I began who knows when and has been sitting on various shelves over the years! Although it is obviously a bomber and fits the just started GB as a subject it definitely does not meet the start line requirements! So, I will soldier on with it as I reacquaint myself with the few skills that I had way back when and will continue to look through the many builds to pick up tips and ideas. I see how willing and quickly help and advice is offered here and will avail myself as necessary. I will look at the list of upcoming GB's and see what grabs my fancy for a new kit.
Many thanks.
Alan.

Oops my bad, the Mossie in the bomber variant does not fit the current GB. I keyed in on the GB in one of the threads I as reading!

Thanks guys.

Forgot to mention that I will use an Eduard PE cockpit detail set for this build. The intro was edited accordingly. No word on the decals yet so still looking.

Bannock, sounds like a Scot......
Scots ran the French out of parts of parts of Canada, like Nova Scotia, into the States, French Canadians, Cajuns!
Mossies were great planes.
Good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back