GB-43 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Bill. This set contains no decals, just the excellent, well-researched backup docs.

No problem Bill and thanks for trying.

On a positive note, I'm happy to report that I have found a set! I contacted Terry Higgins who is responsible for the high quality products at Aviaeology and he will be sending me a set that he had squirrelled away in one of his stashed kits. There is a small caveat in that the decals are possibly a test run but he assures me of his confidence that there should be nothing wrong with them.

So that means that I should have a clear road ahead and so I'll start posting pics very soon.

Thanks guys.

A small start with as many of the cockpit components assembled as can be to make painting reasonably efficient. As always, I'll be adding some missing do-dads or modifying kit parts.

19081301.jpg

The first order of business before painting will be to add the two throttle and prop pitch torque tubes that run along the vertical wall immediately behind the observer's seat. First though, the slots for the radio equipment will be filled as the T1154B-R1155 combination supplied with this kit were in all likelihood not used on this particular Mosquito. According to the FB.VI manual, these were fitted to Mosquitoes HJ662 to 682 and HJ715 to 745. All the rest, including my subject, would have been equipped with the ARI 5083 Gee equipment. I need to read more on this as the R1155 receiver was apparently also used with this equipment but it is mounted on the wing deck rather than to the observer's left side.

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is the moulded unit on the bottom right of the forward bulkhead (below). For the NF.II version of this kit, this box is used to mount some of the radar equipment but I'm wondering if I should cut it away for my FB.VI. It doesn't show up in my references but a few pictures found on line suggest that something is there whereas others don't. I'm guessing that it is a map stowage box/folding table as this would have been displaced from it's usual position on the side wall of the bomber version since the door was moved there on the FB. Any suggestions?

19081302.jpg

The other thing I may do is to thin down the rudder pedals but the fact that these are mostly hidden may make that exercise moot.

Good stuff Andy.
As far as I know, that box / rack was a parachute stowage rack for the Nav's chest-pack parachute, and for nav equipment, such as sextant and drift meter.
Radios were in the mid fuselage, with a remote on the shelf behind the seats (wing box), along with the R/F unit and controller for the 'Gee' box - see my build in GB 32.
Drawings below show the 'Gee' fit, with second drawing showing the earlier radio, but note the equipment behind the cockpit bulkhead - this is where the radio was with the later fit.
If the aircraft had a radio mast, then it more than likely had the 1145 / 1155. If later equipment, the antenna was in the rear fuselage, and there could be a whip antenna where the mast would be, depending on model sub-series. Also there was a 40 inch whip antenna for the 'Gee', at the rear of the canopy, just off-set to port from the central frame.

Mosquito GEE fit.JPG
Mosquito Radio Fit..JPG

Thanks Terry. I have those drawings in my FB.VI manual and I'm going through it. The ARI 5083 equipment is pretty straight forward but I need to take some time to work my way through the rest of the equipment. Here's the description from the manual:

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Thanks guys. I've filled in the unused slots and added the throttle and pitch control torque tubes. These will be cut to the proper length when the glue is dry and the sidewalls are dry fitted.

19081801.jpg

Yesterday I was able to get access to a Gee set and took some pics and measurements so that I can scratch build these for the build. If anyone is interested in seeing pics of these, let me know and I can post them.

Thanks for looking.

Good stuff Andy.
I totally forgot to mention - I still have the mould I made for making resin 'Gee' and radio boxes, and could mould some for you and send them to you, although by the time they're produced and sent, you will probably be well into the build. But let me know if this is of interest, and I'll sort it. I need to make some more anyway, for another Mossie build, and a Lanc at some point, as the spare sets 'pinged' into oblivion - can't find them anywhere !!
I found that if the actual dimensions for the 'Gee' monitor are used (that is, the depth of the box, front to back), then it wouldn't fit into the kit cockpit at the correct angle. I therefore made the box slightly shorter and, once fitted, this can not be noticed.

Thank-you gentlemen. Terry, I appreciate the gesture but am keen to make the sets myself though yours do look quite nice. Thanks for the heads up on the dimensions. The measured dimensions of the indicator set, the one on the angle next to the observer, are 9"wide x 12" tall x 18" deep. The receiver is about 9" square and the same depth.

No problem Andy, and the dimensions sound right.
Just been reminded, seeing your photo - the kit uses the same floor as their B.IV version, with the kneeling cushion for the Observer when in the nose. This should be removed, although if the instrument panel bulkhead hide it, then no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back