GB-43 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Hugh.

A cool and rainy day - perfect for a cuppa tea and some modelling. Work started with positioning the now-painted Gee Indicator (sloped unit by the Observer's seat) and the Receiver (immediately aft of the Indicator). A frame was build for the Inidcator using solder and this was painted grey/green. Note also that harnesses and a scratch made oxygen hose have been added to the Observer's seat since we last spoke. The harnesses are a combination of Eduard PE and left over "superfabric" belts. I must have stolen the PE shoulder harnesses for another build so I made these from scratch, including the flattened lead wire buckles. Not as easily seen is the brake handle and wiring added to the control column.

The pilot's chair. Eduard PE shoulder harness and superfabric lap belts. The latter are somewhat rudimentary but acceptable for viewing through the glazing. Also visible is the the lever to raise the seat, a part that I made as it is not included in the kit.

On the back is a scratch-built harness release mechanism. The wire from the release lever on the seat pan was also added.

The mess of wiring for the Gee equipment has been added. It's still a bit glossy as the paint was still curing at this point. I actually used a wiring diagram to run these as realistically as possible. The wire to the back panel represents the connection to the self destruct circuit and this one may or may not have gone to that bulkhead.

Below is something I should have done before adding all the above intricacies. Tamiya does not provide a full gun bay but the bomb bay is meant to be opened as it is quite detailed. Accordingly, the only visible evidence of the guns is a moulded frame with the butt ends which will be seen from the opened bomb bay. The problem is that the fuel thanks are wrong for the FB VI as, in reality, these were shortened to make room for the gun supports and ammo feed mechanisms. Note how the moulded tanks extend uninterrupted all the way through the gun bay.

Well, we can't have that says I so I set about creating a break and false front for the visible section of the tanks by cutting away material using a Dremel tool, scalpel and saw.

Here's how it looks with the gun support frame temporarily back in place. This should all look fine once painted and highlighted.

Lots more to come in the bomb bay so stay tuned. It;s also crunch time to decide what mystery box I will put next to the Gee Receiver. At his point I'm leaning toward going with the Gee Control Panel rather than the IFF box. Thanks for watching.

Very nice work Andy, and good catch on the fuel tanks - obviously economy measures by Tamiya, using parts common to their B.IV kit.
I'm guessing you know this already, but don't forget the folding head amour for the Nav's position, a part not included in most Mossie kits.
BTW, there;s a superb, very clear canopy available, from Rob ????? (forgotten the name, but can check when home), which is specifically designed for this kit, and much better, and clearer, than the kit part. Might be worth it to show all that extra detail work. I used one, adapted slightly, on my Airfix FB.VI build.
I need to order some stuff from Hannants, including a couple of Mossie canopies, so if you want one,let me know and I'll get it for you.

You know Terry, I may just take you up on that. The canopy is by Rob Taurus and it's only a couple of quid at Hannants. I was going to get it but they won't ship to Canada unless I order £20 worth of stuff.

I'm aware of the folding head armour but am not sure it was always present. My thinking is that it may have been removed when stuff was added behind the Observer's position. I have seen references with it and others without so was going to leave it out. I could be convinced otherwise though.

OK Andy, I'll order an extra one, and send it over to you. Anything else you need from Hannant's ?
It's very possible that armour was removed, although two former Navs told me their aircraft had it, but they left it folded down.
Haven't got access to all my build photos on the lap top, but I'm fairly sure mine, folded, cleared the kit on the rear shelf.
Leaving it out would be OK though.

Thanks Terry, much appreciated. If there was anything else I needed I would have bumped the order myself to get up to the minimum so , no, the canopy is fine. I noticed that there is an error on their site in that the picture shows the flat nosed fighter canopy but the description calls it a B Mk IV canopy but that it's made for the Tamiya FB VI kit.

Thanks Karl.

Yes, it must be a typo - it's described later in the text as NF.II / FB.VI, and it is the correct type.
If you have a B.IV in the pipeline, then the Rob Taurus canopy is also a great addition - very clear, one-piece, with the side blisters as part of the moulding. I used one on my Airfix PR.XVI, converted to a PR. IX.
Let me know if you need one of these also - I'll place the order when I get home on the weekend, after checking what stuff I need.

No problem Andy - the barrels are very nice indeed, and really improve the look.
I'll let you know when I've received them and re-packed and sent to you - should be by the end of next week, before I go to DX .............. and just buy me a pint next time you're over (or bring lots of Maple syrup !!).

Done! Make it a couple of pints for sure. We are planning a trip to Europe next summer and may include a swing through the UK, depending on timing. Thanks again Terry.

Try to get to 'Legends' if you can - all being well, Wojtek should be with us, as our guest, just need to confirm things with him. If not 'Legends', then hopefully he can make it for the September show.

Legends is always the second weekend in July, but for some strange reason, over the last couple of years, the September show has been moved to later in the month, from around the 9th, to, this year, 21st and 22nd.
Fortunately, the weather is looking fairly good for this year's September show, as last year, it was virtually rained off !

Thanks Hugh.

Terry if that puts Legends on July 11/12 then that may work but not if it's the 18/19 weekend as I will need to be in southern Germany then.

Users who are viewing this thread