GB-43 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Slow going on my build so just a small update. I have decided to place the Gee control panel (actually another electrical box) up front on the deck next to the other Gee equipment. The option of putting the IFF box there was considered but we know via Terry's observation that the remote switchbox was placed up front on the canopy frame where the Gee switch panel is called out in the manual, leading me to the perhaps incorrect conclusion that the need for the Gee switch box disappeared with the control panel relocation to the front. The remote IFF switch box MIGHT suggest the box being placed out of reach and that it could be in the center of the fuselage behind the wing. This setup is supported by reference to the "Mosquito Explored" DVD so that's what I'm going to do.

The control panel and a secondary junction box that will also be mounted on the deck were scratch built from styrene card and rod. Both are seen here ready fro paint.

19092801.jpg

Thanks very much gents. Hope to be able to find some quality bench time over the next few weeks but there's lots going on that keeps me away.

Thanks Hugh.

Managed to get some bench time today given the weather:

20190930_095959.jpg

The boxes shown in the previous update have been placed and some, but not all, of the interconnecting wiring has been started. The small box on the left is known as "JBL" or Junction Box L. To the right of that is the Gee Control Panel. There will need to be some wiring added between the latter box and the Gee Receiver to its right,

Moving outside of the cockpit for a minute, one thing that was drawn to my attention was that Tamiya's vertical stabilizer is too tall by a scale 4 inches. Here's a diagram from an Osprey book on the subject:

Tamiya Fin Issue Roy Sutherland.JPG

Transferring that info to my model means that the fin should be a bit over 2mm shorter which doesn't sound like much but when you see the effect below, it will make a significant difference.

19093001.jpg

I will make the mods to the tail and show how I do this in a later post.

Thanks for looking in.

So you're growing snow in your garden now, eh ?
Good reminder re the Tamiya tail fin. I have two Tamiya Mossie kits to do yet, so I'll watch with interest.

Thanks guys. Carving the fin to shape is easy. Lowering the location of the rudder horn will be more difficult as it involves moving a finely detailed hinge so I'm proceeding with caution on this. I will probably cut the rudder off entirely and crank it over to one side a bit, which should make it easier to work some of the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back