GB-43 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents. If you don't mind, I'll continue with posting progress on this build in this thread despite the Group Build having closed.

This morning, I finished off the hydraulics for the rear bomb bay door jacks. Also done are the aileron trim and control cables that turn up into the space between the wing rear spar and the bomb bay roof and the electrical cable to the black disc on the rear wall, the identify of which I have not been able to ascertain. Methinks it may be a light for the bomb bay but it doesn't show up in any of the manuals I have.

19121001.jpg

The next decision is whether, or not, to mount bombs in the bay. The Pro is that the bombs will obscure the rather rudimentary UBC racks provided by Tamiya but the Con is that the bombs will also obscure some of the detail that I've achieved here. The UBC's provided with the Revell kit are much nicer; they even included the cranks for adjusting the stabilizers. I will fiddle with some dry fitting before making a decision but I'm leaning toward installing the bombs since I left them out of my Revell B.IV.

Thanks for looking.

Well, I got excited for a moment! When you mentioned the bombs out of the Revell kit I thought I might be able to help you out with some parts but my kit is not the B Mk IV, just the MK IV. No open bomb bay option so strangely enough no internal parts. Just as I thought I'd be able to lay claim to having a helping hand in this beautiful model!

Thanks mate but no worries. It's not the bombs I'm worried about but the racks as Revell's are superior. With the bombs installed, the racks won't be seen for the most part.

Thanks Hugh.

Not much to show as I've been mostly checking and adjusting seams on the fuselage and wings by priming and sanding. I did, however, attend to some of the details on the tail feathers. First, in order to break up the flatness of the moulded wings, I cut the elevators at the horn balances, scored the hinge line, and gently bent them downward. Below can be seen the one at left done and the one at right yet to be done. This technique saves a lot of work in that the control surfaces need not be entirely separated and reattached but not all details will allow this.

19121301.jpg

I know the trim tab should deflect upward as the elevator goes down but I didn't bother as the elevator deflection is pretty small.

At the rudder, the underside of the received a torque tube and there's a small plate near the trim tab:

19121302.jpg

These details can be seen on the restored KA114:

IMG_5286.JPG

With that all done, the rudder was glued to the tail. Note that the "starving cow" ribs have been toned down with a couple of coats of primer followed by sanding.

19121303.jpg

At the suggestion of someone on another forum, I've decided to complete a fair amount of the painting and weathering on the wing undersides before I attach them to the fuselage. This will allow better access to the inner nacelle surfaces so I'll go with that.

Thanks once again for following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back