GB-43 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents.

After masking, the canopy was masked, painted grey/green and then black. Here it is dry-fitted to the fuselage.

19122201.jpg

The wonderful Master brass barrels (thanks Terry) were then drilled into the plastic breeches and installed along with the well-fitting nose cap.

19122202.jpg

Thanks all for today. Thanks all.

I'm going through various external details now before I splash the paint on and am studying the non-standard paint features:

00 bannock_hairless_joe_206.jpg

In the above pic. note the different tones of grey here. The nose cone appears to be a replacement and features a darker tone of MSG as does a distinct apparent touchup above the cannons and radiator intake. The cannons themselves are doped over and painted a lighter MSG. On the open door, you can just make out the circled maple leaf seen on many WW2 RCAF aircraft.

In the below pic, which forms the basis of my model, the cover for the .303s has been repainted and the Dark Green boundary has moved higher up. The cannon ports now sport red doped covers but the lighter grey can still be seen on the outer fringes. The darker grey touchups are not evident, though they may be washed out in the direct sunlight. The spinners appear to be a slightly darker form of MSG than the cowls behind them so may be new. The open door now features a Wing Commander pennant so this suggests that this picture was taken after Bannock's promotion in October 1944.

00 Hairless Joe Russ Bannock's Mossie.jpg

The fairing for the tail warning radar can be seen in the shadow just above the tail wheel. Just forward of the tail wheel are remnants of the AEAF stripes. Another non-standard feature is what appears to be a Dark Green on the top of the vertical stab just visible above the wing. The conventional camouflage for the disruptive night scheme had the entire fin painted MSG on both sides with no green. You can see this on the Mosquito in the background at left. It's unknown whether the fin is painted entirely green or just partially as there are no other known photos of this area. Note the mud on the main tires and on the tail wheel.

Comments or observations are welcome!

Good stuff Andy.
Looks like a replacement cover over the guns, unless it's a trick of the light, and it's the same - could be the same with the fin, although I agree it does look darker.
I think the doped fabric over the cannon ports is red in both photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back