GB-44 1/72 Yak 27 K-8 - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nsmekanik

Senior Airman
Apr 26, 2005
Nanton
User name: Nsmekanik
Name: Tim
Category: Intermediate
Kit: Amodel Yak 27 K-8
Scale: 1/72
Accessories: None

IMG_2123.JPG

I will be building this one as the one depicted on the box art and on the decal sheet.
imageproxy.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The Yak-121 prototype was developed as a successor to the Yak-25 family and it became the base for the Yak-27 family of supersonic interceptor and tactical reconnaissance aircraft. The Yak-27 and Yak-27K interceptors, armed with guns and K-8 missiles respectively, reached or exceeded their requirements, but were overtaken in performance by the Sukhoi Su-9, and so production was not authorized.

There were , according to a gentleman on Britmodeller, 5-10 Yak 27 interceptors produced with only 1 remaining in existence on display in a rather sorry state.
Yak-27_Vapniarka.jpg

Amodel kits are short run with no extras such as photo-etch or resin bits, and can be a bit dicey to put together so much care in assembly is required,

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

I have 3 others on the go and haven't finished one yet so hopefully this will be a first
coffee.gif

Thank you gentlemen, I shell do my best not to disappoint
grin.gif

I admit I've been slackin on the 110.....but at the moment I'm having fun with this one

First things first,
IMG_2129.jpg

As the saying goes, instructions are just someones opinion, Amodels opinion needs to be taken with a grain of salt
IMG_2130.jpg

If the tub is glued in according to the raised marks it sits to high so I marked out the outline and shaved off the marks
IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

and then I didn't take any pics until after I glued things together and took them apart a few times till it all fit.......
IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

I now know what and what not to do on the next one.....

and for size, an Academy Typhoon....

IMG_2137.jpg

The rear gear bay went very well and fits good once the thing is sanded down a lot.
IMG_2141.jpg

The fuselage gaps are almost closed up so a touch more sanding and it will be good. Amodel would have you glue it all together and then add the landing gear.......good luck with that...the trick is to thin the , for lack of a better description, 'V' tabs and then trim one sides u slot.
IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

and once you are ready just slide the gear in and give it a twist and voi la

IMG_2142.jpg

PigFly.GIF

So the question is....can we make this look like
IMG_2141.jpg

that.....
Yakovlev Yak-28 NATO 3.png

Aahhhh no. So I did this instead, none of that no one can prove you wrong crap for me

IMG_2147.jpg
IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

Next on to the interior, if you are OK with Hasegawa interiors then no problem here, just don't look at pics of the real thing.....

Yakovlev Yak-28 NATO 4.png

IMG_2153.jpg

I test fit the thing a gazillion times and the Drivers IP *appeared* to be to high, so I cut it down a bit........famous last words......
IMG_2155.jpg

I also made up some new steering sticks as the origanals just looked........not good
IMG_2154.jpg

And now it's just a matter of taking something oval and making it round

IMG_2158.jpg

I could lie and say the fit was excellent and I used hardly any filler......but that would be mean.....
IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

cold.gif

It's been a while so time for a bit of an update, the wings and fuselage are not to bad, the usual fill sand repeat. The engines, on the other hand, have issues.
IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

I have a plan, but, it's going to be a while before I implement it so I doubt I'll be finishing this one on time, no biggie though, lesson learned, for the next one I'm going to pick something a bit easier to construct.........
coffee.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back