GB-46 1:48 Il-2m3 - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Accurate Miniatures
Model Type: Ilyushin IL-2m3
Aftermarket Add-ons: None planned. Seatbelts likely to be scratch built

The subject of this build will be an Il-2m3 of the 566 SHap using the Accurate Miniatures kit:

152855-11814-pristine.jpg

I'll be using the kit decal markings and will base the scheme on those and this available photo:

IL2M3_566_ShAP_44.jpg

My research has only just begun and I'm very much aware of some of the shortcomings of the AM kit. Until the Tamiya kit came out in 2012, this was pretty much the only thing going but it was a fraction of the cost of the Tamiya offering, and I only paid maybe 10 bucks for it at a model show. Despite the warts, I'll probably stick with what's in the box as much as I'm capable of (history shown this statement to be laughably optimistic) and I'll be looking to you good folks to provide plenty of input as I'm not very knowledgeable on Russian subjects.

It will be some time before I launch the build but I thought I'd get the starter thread going to get my foot in the door.

Thanks all. The most glaring issue with this kit is the flat nose around the rad intake and I admit it will be hard to ignore that, though it's not an easy fix.

Thanks for the offer. I will know as I go along but the first thing that hit me was the cockpit colour called out as "interior grey green" which I take to be more in tune with British aircraft. If anyone has better specifics then that would be a help.

I would say .. almost all cockpit inards were of the A-14 FS36270 or 37200 while the inside of the fuselage was of ALG-5 FS 34670.

Thank-you sirs. Had Massimo's site bookmarked already. Thanks for the added info Geo and for the input Wojtek. Will look closely when I start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back