GB-47 1/48 Hawker Typhoon - WW2 D-Day and After – Western Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank-you Glenn.

Yellow on the wing leading edges and the Sky band spayed.

20120501.jpg

Hasn't been much going on other than small snippets of time spent masking. Upper colours soon after the canopy is masked.
20120901.jpg

Looking ahead, what are your thoughts about the area below? Patch with flaked paint? No sign of AEAF stripes around it and these would have been gone by the time of the photo anyway.

Capture.JPG

IMHO, too regular in shape to be the flaked / peeled off paint. Perhaps it could be a patch of a colour applied by the maintenance crew or a remnant of the yellow ID strip at the leading edge. Undoubtedly it overpainting the demarcation line between the tops and undersides

Do you mean the wing leading edge, underneath, Andy ?
If so, I think this may be a small panel, which may be discolured / stained, or possibly a repainted area.

Yes, the leading edge at the arrow appears to have some sort of patch of colour that crosses the demarcation of the camo. Maybe I wasn't clear with my theory but my thought is that it could be a repair using a rectangular patch of aluminum , either unpainted or with the previously applied paint that has flaked off. I don't think it's a yellow remnant because, as far as I'm aware, the yellow ID stripes were removed in early to mid 1943, long before this particular bird was built. Besides, these were further out, coincident with the inner cannon. Maybe red dope? EDIT: probably not since it's too light.

Last edited:
Here are three stages of the painting done today starting with the Ocean Grey. I used thinned Tamiya XF-82 lightened with a bit of white as I find the colour to be a bit too intense for a weathered 1/48 model. The paint was thinned quote a bit to enable the preshading to be gradually incorporated.

20121101.jpg

Next came the Dark Green for which I again thinned and lightened Tamiya's XF-81 with some white. This time I overdid it and it turned out too light. What's more, I spilled a bit at the beginning so ended up with less paint than I had originally mixed for this pass and so ran out by the time I did the tailplanes. No matter as this can be easily over-coated with another layer of darker green and modulating the colours a bit in the process.

20121102.jpg

The green was recoated, this time with straight thinned XF-81 and I'm now happy with the way this turned out.

20121103.jpg

I've now set the model aside while I figure out the next step. I mentioned that I might try some salt weathering and will sleep on it. Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back