GB-50 and beyond

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
With GB-47 starting in less than a month and only two defined GB's left on the listing, I thought it would be time to discuss ideas for GB 50 and beyond. What say yea all?

Let me start with a suggestion of 1942! Any military aircraft in combating nations in 1942. This could be Pacific, Europe, CBI, Med, NA, Russia.

And yes Andy I know that there is almost a Year left (GB-50 would start 1 May 2021), but starting discussions may take a bit. Just my opinion.

Thank you

I have failed miserably in past participation, but I enjoy looking at everyone's work.

That being said, why not have a GB based on prototypes? Or one based on "what if's" (like Grant's recent Stuka Mistel)?

We have really creative and talented guys here, it would be great to see what everyone would come up with.

I have failed miserably in past participation, but I enjoy looking at everyone's work.

That being said, why not have a GB based on prototypes? Or one based on "what if's" (like Grant's recent Stuka Mistel)?

We have really creative and talented guys here, it would be great to see what everyone would come up with.
I like the what it's. What if the war lasted longer. What if the B-35 and 36 received much higher priority?

I like the what it's. What if the war lasted longer. What if the B-35 and 36 received much higher priority?
True, plus the Japanese, Germans, British and Americans all had new jets in the works, for example.
There was also mixed power bombers and fighters in the works, like the Ryan fireball.
These could all fall into a "1946" category.

14th of December 2008, oh to be young again and have a mojo! 😉😆😂
Can't sleep, maybe see if I can save the Polikarpov! 😉
I like the "what if" idea, both for WWII and regardless of era, F-111 in RAF colours, TSR. 2 in Swedish splinter camouflage, Norwegian E/E Lightning! 😉
I'm hungry, time for some chilli! 🤤

I see a BOB in the future

20200810_140153_copy_600x800.jpg

I see a BOB in the future

For GB 45 you built a very nice Finnish 109; even I would be too shy to ask for BOB so soon. I made a matrix of past builds looking for gaps or old categories. A quick count gives about 33 set in WW2; about 11 set in other times; and about 11 that allowed other times. The European theater was much more represented than Pacific. Looking at all this and a few cups of coffee; here are some suggestions.

Some categories that include WW2
Any Japanese designed and built AC.
"Under New Management" Captured AC from any era.
Any multi wing AC; mostly WW1 but includes Gladiator; Swordfish etc.
These are other eras
Any Arab/Israeli AC from 1948 to 1973.
Any AC or Helicopter from the Falklands War.
Any helicopter or Vertical take off/landing AC.

For GB50 there should be some sort of 50's theme.
Any AC from 1950-59
Any AC still flying that is more than 50 years old. This could be interesting since a current flying WW2 era show AC will be CLEAN with gloss paint and may not have authentic markings.
Any AC still in active military service that is more than 50 years old. This is what I could find. Mig-21; B-52; Tu-95 Bear; T-38; F-4 Phantom; C-130; Mirage III; U-2; C-5 Galaxy; KC-135 Stratotanker; AN-2. Runner up F-15(1972); Civil 747 and DC-3.

Last edited:
For GB 45 you built a very nice Finnish 109; even I would be too shy to ask for BOB so soon. I made a matrix of past builds looking for gaps or old categories. A quick count gives about 33 set in WW2; about 11 set in other times; and about 11 that allowed other times. The European theater was much more represented than Pacific. Looking at all this and a few cups of coffee; here are some suggestions.

Some categories that include WW2
Any Japanese designed and built AC.
"Under New Management" Captured AC from any era.
Any multi wing AC; mostly WW1 but includes Gladiator; Swordfish etc.
These are other eras
Any Arab/Israeli AC from 1948 to 1973.
Any AC or Helicopter from the Falklands War.
Any helicopter or Vertical take off/landing AC.

For GB50 there should be some sort of 50's theme.
Any AC from 1950-59
Any AC still flying that is more than 50 years old. This could be interesting since a current flying WW2 era show AC will be CLEAN with gloss paint and may not have authentic markings.
And while I do agree with your input, This is a WWII Aircraft Forum which is why there is a pedomanace in that era. I would like to see more Pacific theme builds, and I am personally a Jet (1950-present) NUT.
I don't see many Japanese builds, that would be cool, but I would be more inclined to the Pacific/Indo China theater of operations. I like the Arab/Israeli Idea. Falklands war is cool but again, we tend to keep to the WWII Aircraft theme. We stray out once a build set or so but that's why the 3/4 WWII, 1/4 other. WWI is also an open spot.
Love the 50's theme for GB 50. Cool jets Korean war, Arab/Israel, lots of great aircraft. The whole USAF Century series, Hawker Hunter Vampires and MiGs to name just a minor few.
Keep 'em coming as I am just throwing some things out and asking for Ideas.

Interesting thoughts about the Pacific theater.
Perhaps go one step further and make it a CBI theater build.
Quite a range of types of Japanese aircraft as well as Soviet, Italian, Dutch, American and so on.
Also were quite a few "puppet" states along with the major nations, which would be fun to see.

Ringing out the old year with some even wilder suggestions for future group builds... Side note, these can be only WWII or all eras.
Sinkers or Floaters; any boat, ship, or submarine or any amphibious/float plane.
Non Combat; any trainer, recon, transport, liaison, prototype plane that did not cause direct damage. This could include 2 seater conversions of Spits etc.
This is a twist on the optional second category; what ever the subject is like "Twin engine fighter", one option is WWII and the other is Non WWII. So, P-38 or F-4 Phantom.
Transferred Ownership; this is a plane built by one nation but flown under another's markings. Mustang in RAF or Bf 109 in Swiss markings for example.
That's all I have, now go have some fun.

How about a throne for all our shelf queens, shelf warmers, that's sitting on the Shelf of Doom?

View attachment 606932
That would require an entirely new forum :p

Another thought I had, was "archaic" aircraft pressed into service at the war's start. Ones that had been in service in the late 20's and early 30's that ended up seeing action when WWII broke out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back