GB 52 Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This Group Build will be for any aircraft in WW2 service that was designed and used primarily as a level bomber. Fighters equipped with bombs or rockets, torpedo aircraft, and dive bombers are excluded from this theme. While it is recognized that many bomber aircraft went on to serve in other roles (e.g. Ju-88 as Night Fighter, Mosquito as Fighter-Bomber, etc) this build is intended to display such aircraft in their bombing role only.
Marine/Navy bombers are somehow ignored by the modelling society when it comes to "heavy hitters" (it's my personal understanding or IMHO as we use to say). For some of the navalized birds it's easy to say "yes". PBJ and PB4Y are bombers even in the blue-grey or the blue-white "disguise". But what about PV-1? Is it just a patrol a/c or a bomber? What about flying boats like PBY, PB2Y, PBM, Sunderland etc.? Are they bombers? Or patrol-bombers are not exactly level bombers as defined in the GB-rules.
In a different thread I posted some information about the MAD-Cats - radar equipped "Catalinas" attacking submarines with "retro-bombs". Were they bombers or not quite?
Cheers!

Or is a PBY a torpedo bomber?
I'm a simple man with a simple mind. If it dropped bombs it's a bomber. Wait, I know the F4F dropped bombs. Now my head hurts.

Or is a PBY a torpedo bomber?
I'm a simple man with a simple mind. If it dropped bombs it's a bomber. Wait, I know the F4F dropped bombs. Now my head hurts.
Since the torpedo bombers, fighter bombers and dive bombers are excluded from the GB as per definition (see above), not every a/c dropping bombs is a bomber. I specifically asked about the patrol-bombers. PBYs carrying torpedoes are the same as PBJs with torpedoes or "Tiny Tim"-rockets; they do exist but do not change the classification of the particular type.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I hope to be along soon with this.....:)

Revell_JU188A-2.jpg

I've had a change of mind and won't be building the LeO 451 unless it is as a second entry.
I've recently discovered a lot of information and pictures of the B-24 my father flew in on his 1st and 3rd combat mission with the 484th bomb group. It has some mildly racy art work on the nose that I think I can make up so this one is pretty hard to resist with the theme of the current group build.

The title is Heavy Hitters but the only kit I have that can be called a level bomber is a PZL 23A Karas light bomber. Just wanted to check I will be okay to enter it into competition.
IMG_20211214_162343184.jpg

Money is a bit tight at the moment and I can't justify buying a new kit when I have 8 waiting.

If it's primarily a level bomber, then it's fine by me.
Let's see what the other judges think .................
As far as I have read it wasn't stressed as a dive bomber and it's way too slow to be a fighter. One aircraft bombed a factory in Ohlau (Olawa nowadays) on 2nd September 1939.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back