GB 59 - WW2 Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO) - Aug 1, 2023 to Dec 3, 2023

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Idle hands and all that, I need something to keep them busy till GB60. I have this one left in the stash that fits the GB59 criteria.

Ki-61-1d BoxArt.JPG

However I need to make a decision. Being one to try and build 'unique' whenever possible, this kit has an optional clear port fuselage option, and I'm debating on using it? The instructions are not clear (no pun intended) on how it should be finished out with regards to a 'normal' build. No going back once the CP details are attached.

decision.JPG

As can be seen (kind of) the clear is really 'opaque-ish'

Ki-61-1d Port Clear obv.jpg

Ki-61-1d Port Clear.jpg

Any reactions to doing this, submission wise? Tamiya does have an image that illustrates a build with this option chosen. I've not seen any 'builds' online where 'anyone' has chosen this?

clear installed.jpg

Would be cool looking in the display area though! I do notice that the ejector pin marks are gone in the Tamiya model illustration. Looking at them on the molded part, and knowing the areas would have to be polished to a matching finish, the pain may be too much?

Me being me, I never thought the interior to be detailed enough to warrant a (what I deem to be gimmicky) see through fuselage. But to each his own. It's a great kit, regardless.

Me being me, I never thought the interior to be detailed enough to warrant a (what I deem to be gimmicky) see through fuselage. But to each his own. It's a great kit, regardless.
Probably right on the lack of 'real' detail, but I thought being able to peek into the engine and gun areas would be interesting. I'm probably going to build with this feature, me being me, and most likely will not officially enter the GB competition? Going to start with the cockpit, engine and gun details and see how they 'show'. No special difference building other than a couple of cockpit controls being attached, and those, like the joining the two fuselage halves, will most likely be done using cockpit glue; reversible.

Probably right on the lack of 'real' detail, but I thought being able to peek into the engine and gun areas would be interesting. I'm probably going to build with this feature, me being me, and most likely will not officially enter the GB competition? Going to start with the cockpit, engine and gun details and see how they 'show'. No special difference building other than a couple of cockpit controls being attached, and those, like the joining the two fuselage halves, will most likely be done using cockpit glue; reversible.
Hey don't hold back!!!!! If you don't finish intime (still two months) than GB 60 is a Zombie so you can re enter!! I like your work.

Nice looking kit Ralph but looking at those clear fuselage parts, it would seem you may have some polishing to do if your looking for a nice clear see through outer skin. Lot of work involved. :thumbright: :D

Nice looking kit Ralph but looking at those clear fuselage parts, it would seem you may have some polishing to do if your looking for a nice clear see through outer skin. Lot of work involved. :thumbright: :D
My confusion as well. The canopy glass parts are pristine ultra clear, so why not the fuselage piece? Looking at the Tamiya supplied image, there's is 'milky' looking, on purpose? My only guess is they know the interior details are not that great and want to present a 'peep show' type of display? In any case it certainly will be unique on the shelf!

It certainly would look unique and have pride of place in any collection. As a suggestion you could select the panels where you would like see through viability, concentrate on polishing these up and paint over the rest. Curious though, is that fuzzy look on the inside, outside or through the whole plastic. :D

It certainly would look unique and have pride of place in any collection. As a suggestion you could select the panels where you would like see through viability, concentrate on polishing these up and paint over the rest. Curious though, is that fuzzy look on the inside, outside or through the whole plastic. :D
Yes.

Seriously, I haven't looked that closely at the part. Just holding it, it appears cloudy throughout. Need to do some closer looking though some magnification?

Looked closer. Appears to be some sort of 'sprayed on' etching? And unfortunatly not very consistant. It is applied selectively on the inside and out. The motor/gun areas and the cockpit seating area being only coated on the outside. In the post #103 I pasted the images of the piece. Zoom in on the sprue #42 label and you can see some 'overspray'? I'm going to work on that small area to see if it is truly an etch or an overcoat? More for curiosity than a plan to 'fix' the whole piece!

May work out well if you can polish out the forward fuselage back to the back of the cockpit. I would mask off the clear area and paint the rear of the fuselage since there is no detail behind the pilot's seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back