GB 59 - WW2 Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO) - Aug 1, 2023 to Dec 3, 2023

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nice.

thinking of starting with this one.

to be honest i may have No 7 from the same 58th Shimbu-Tai, cant remember which one i have decals for old:oops:

TamiyaHayate58Shimbu-tai.jpg

Regarding the L-5 "Barbara" I found a profile by Zbigniew Kolacha
View attachment 732375
But the serial would be more probably 44-25460 or 44-25463(?)
Interesting profile, but no 83 anymore? Did 9th FS change from the red/white striped tail in the earlier photo to just blue tips?

It seems that the blue vertical stripe and the white and red horizontal stripes was only used by the 49FG HQ.

Regarding the profile of "Barbara", hard to explain but it seems that from Spring 1945 the 49thFG' HQ's aircraft could have blue/white spinner. But this fact would have been used before, the P-40L flown by Johnson during October 1944 have worn 2 kinds of painting of the propeller spinner; 2 colors => blue (or red ?) and white and then all blue (or red) with a white stripe.

So what's Johnson's P-38 look like?
Le_steph40 and myself have been discussing this for about 10 years or so, no definite way to tell as we have photos of the nose of 3 different aircraft but none that show numbers on the tail/rear fuselage. And probably for that reason no one has ever made decals of any of his P-38s. That includes Superscale/Microscale, Aeromaster, and RepliScale.

Le_steph40 and myself have been discussing this for about 10 years or so, no definite way to tell as we have photos of the nose of 3 different aircraft but none that show numbers on the tail/rear fuselage. And probably for that reason no one has ever made decals of any of his P-38s. That includes Superscale/Microscale, Aeromaster, and RepliScale.
Oh, come on! Microscale isn't averse to just making stuff up.
I have the decals to prove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back