GB-60 1/32 P-40B AVG - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I do have the first colors down, top and bottom.
Because I cut the covers off Before installing the V12,
I couldn't get the pieces to stay together, engine removal
was the only solution. So this is how I had to mask.
The wind screen popped off, so it will go on After the camo color
Looks rather black, but it is Dark Earth.
Forgot how much paint these big birds take, it was a lot.
Only a few days to finish but will give it my best shot!
BTW, SMS lacquer paint, straight from the bottle, no primer!!

1-32 P-40b_40.jpg

Well, I do have the first colors down, top and bottom.
Because I cut the covers off Before installing the V12,
I couldn't get the pieces to stay together, engine removal
was the only solution. So this is how I had to mask.
The wind screen popped off, so it will go on After the camo color
Looks rather black, but it is Dark Earth.
Forgot how much paint these big birds take, it was a lot.
Only a few days to finish but will give it my best shot!
BTW, SMS lacquer paint, straight from the bottle, no primer!!

View attachment 764905
Fight the good fight, Sir!

Found this on this website, I will be using this scheme of pilot Petach
Flight Leader Johnnie "Pete" Petach of the Flying Tigers 2nd Squadron Panda Bears was killed in action in China on July 10th, 1942. He has been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. Flight Leader Petach entered the Air Force in September 1939. John attended Perth Amboy High School and New York University. He was the husband of Emma Jane "Red" Foster and the son of Mr. & Mrs John E. Petach.
Johnnie Petach was assigned aircraft #47 originally. In March when P40E's arrived, the Navy pilots w/divebomber skills, like Johnnie Petach & Tex Hill, were assigned to the newer E models which could carry bombs. The Army pilots w/no divebombing skills were assigned to the older P40B-C's. RT Smith was from the Hells Angels Squadron & his original C model was #77. The #47 was originally with the Panda Bears and a blue tail stripe. After that, it went to the Third Squadron, Hells Angels and had a red tail stripe. The original Panda Bear Squadron with blue tail stripe, aircraft #34 – #67 were all Second Squadron airplanes. RTSmith "learned he'd never fly old 77 again. It had gone to Magwe along w/the rest of the planes & pilots of the 3rd Squadron. A few 1st Squadron pilots & planes remaind there; Dick Rossi cracked up 'my' plane on takeoff…"" He was unhurt, but I've never quite forgiven him" RTSmith, 3/26/42.

1708556420115.png

This photo is actually colorized. However, strangely enough, the chevron on the
tiger is blue, the band is blue, the outline of the shark mouth is blue and the
spinner front half is blue???? A quandary me thinks. I may go with all that!?

Last edited:
Coming together Bill :thumbright:
Well...................... sorta........................... 💩
Seems we cannot win at times.
If you look at the photo above of the 57 AC,
you will notice a chevron behind the tiger.
I have Kitsworld decals.................. guess what!
No chevron on the sheets, but shown in all artwork.
Just WTAF? I have sent an email lotta f'n good that will do!
Back in the closet with this bugger.

The H81-A2 P-8127 "White47" is quite well known kite of the AVG. The schewron was of a light blue colour while the thin band was of the red. The spinner was of the Earth Brown colour. The shark mouth had the black outline while the top of the "inside" was of the Dark Green camo coat and there wasn't the red at the bottom initially. Later the red bottom seems to be added. However the lack of the red may be the result of the wrong scanning IMHO.

Curtiss Hawk 81A-2 AVG "White 47" P-8127 of markings without the "tiger" emblem flown by R.T. Smith of the Third Pursuit Squadron — Hell's Angels — of the American Volunteer Group was probably taken on May 28, 1942 near the Salween River Gorge on the China-Burma border.

AVG-H81-A2-P-8127-No-47_a.jpg

AVG-H81-A2-P-8127-No-47_a1.jpg

the appearance with no schewron for the tiger ...
47_no schewron.jpg

the source: American Volunteer Group, 1st PS "Adam and Eve" Question

and the later markings with the tiger and schewron.

full.jpg

AVG-H81-A2-P-8127-No-47_b1.jpg

the profile rendition
AVG-H81-A2-P-8127-No-47b.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Yep, found from other info passed on to me #47 Was Smith's plane After my subject. Color and was Blue. So I'll copy and inspect all the above. Evidence I Should do more OB builds and just stop driving this old fart crazy playing "ketchup", so to speak!😱

Users who are viewing this thread

Back