GB-61 1/144 F-14 Tomcat - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PlasticHero

Senior Airman
Jul 31, 2019
Pennsylvania, USA
Username: PlasticHero
First Name: Alan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/144
Model: F-14A with deck and fire engine and F-14D TomCaters
Manufacturer: Dragon 4020 and 4559
Extras: None

The plan is to have a F-14A and D, wings swept, and wings out for launch. I have one set of wings cut up and I'm mulling how to reattach the bits. As long as the top is about right, I'll be happy.
wings1.jpg

Last edited:
Progress and plans continue even if I haven't been posting it. The A variant will be the bright scheme, with wings out, and a CAP mission load of Phoenix, Sparrow and Sidewinders. It has a simpler one color gray Tamiya XF80 overall but will be "dirty". The D will be subdued, wings swept with a TARP. (Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance Pod) It has a 3 color scheme that I hope I can mask off. I'm doing that one first because the wings are not as fragile. I'm using this image and profile as reference.
F14d.jpg

F14d-profile.jpg

Through a complex process of looking at photos, profiles, internet opinion, and guesswork. I arrived at these colors for them. The intake was called out on one profile for the A but I have decided not to use it. There will be a little adjusting with other colors as the layers are applied so there will be a visible difference between them. Honestly, I'm going more for looking good then being a perfect representation. I salute fubar57 fubar57 and his dedication to getting his colors spot on!!
F14d-paint.jpg

This is what the physical differences between the kit parts are for the A - D versions. The engines changed from P&W TF-30-P412 to F110-GE-400 and the "beaver tail" at the very aft end is slightly different. I think this is fuel dump, maybe electronic items?
A-D diff.jpg

I have the nose section assembled and I added a mixture of very fine lead bird shot and glue into them for balance. Needless to say, there is now bird shot all over the work bench. I went to the trouble to add a pilot instrument panel, it's about a 2mm trapezoid.
nose.jpg

I shortened the nose gear for the A but I will not go any further to drop the launch bar in the front, the holdback bar or the deck shuttle.
F-14A 1.jpg

It's so tiny and seems like it was built in the blink of an eye. Looking forward to the detail. :thumbright: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back