GB-61 1/48 FM-1 Wildcat - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Busy days so just a quick update. Gunsight in place and part of the landing gear glued up and trial fitted.

24032001.jpg
24032002.jpg

Sorry for the short note but can't stick around long. See ya later.

The gunsight is pretty neat. I always wondered if pilots would poke their eyes out with out with "telescope" like prior gunsight. Yes, I know it was padded but still.

It is a great gunsight but that landing gear looks so spindly and not beefed up as one would expect. You've done a good job there Andy. :thumbright: :D

Thanks guys. Nothing new to show I'm afraid.

Note that the undercarriage shown above is incomplete in that there is a whole other layer of struts to be added. I only dry fitted it to make sure the partial assembly was properly aligned.

I have a question.

Thinking ahead to the painting, I've gone through the video in detail once more to study things. In doing so I noticed something carried on the port wing only as seen in these screen grabs (red arrows):

7.jpg
8.jpg

It doesn't appear to be a bomb and looks like it's a yellow colour Anyone know what this is? Other a/c in the vid are carrying it as well and one has it both port and starboard wings.

To clarify, the video excerpts were taken right after landing so the unit was used in flight. Also it's only on the port side on my aircraft. Later in the video you can catch the right wing being folded and there is no such unit there.

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with training.

Not sure if this is any good Andy. Under a cutaway drawing it shows a similar shape and is listed as a bomb rack.

I've also come across this discussion on Britmodeller

F4F Wildcat No1-1-1. underwing bomb rack shown under port wing.png

:thumbright: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back