GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb(1) - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great info, but can we find the small antenna under the starboard wing or did these guys fly without IFF for a while?

I have paid my attention to the IFF underwing antenna. None of the Spits with he starboard underwing seen had the antenna type there. So it is very lkely they didn't have the device installed yet. Here one more shot of the SH-Z. The insulator can be noticed while the wire not. Also no IFF antena on the starboard underwing.

SH-Z_a.jpg

the source: the net.

I watched the video twice Andy and it was just as Wojtek said, no mast to tail antenna, no IFF to fuselage antennae and no underwing antenna. One aircraft was filmed from back to front on the right side and nada. I need to keep in mind that this was filmed about a year before "Starkey". Might have to pose this ove to Britmodeller

Although the Mark II's selection of frequencies covered the early war period, by 1942 so many radars were in use that a series of sub-versions had been introduced to cover particular combinations of radars. The introduction of new radars based on the cavity magnetron required different frequencies to which the system was not easily adapted. This led to the introduction of the Mark III, which operated on a single frequency that could be used with any radar; it also eliminated the need for the complex gear and cam system. Mark III began entering service in 1943 and quickly replaced the Mark II.

IMHO it is very possible the IFF Mk.II could be attached later and up to the 1943 was in usage.

And you shouldn't. IIRC the underwing antenna appeared with the IFF Mk.III. And the variant wasn't used for Spitfire Mk.V at that time but for Mk.IX and late versions. However the early Mk.IX had the IFF antena wire but at the starboard side only.

The top one the early Mk.IX , the bottom one the later Mk.IX.

the source: Spitfire help... calling experten! Mk F IXb. Vs. Mk IXc?
Wojtek,
I wonder if it's not a wire that we see
mk_ix_11.jpg

This is from Mushroom Model Magazine Special, "Supermarine Spitfire Mk V

There are also two photos showing this.

In early 1943 a new IFF, the Mk III started being fitted to all front-line fighters. On the Spitfire the fuselage to tailplane wires were replaced by a single rod aerial mounted under the starboard wing. At about the same time the updated TR 1143 radio sets started replacing the TR 1133s, although no external changes were visible.

So the question is if the no. 64 Sqadron Spitfire Mk.Vb got the IFF Mk.III device fitted. To be honest I haven't seen the kind of the antennae on early to mid 1943 Spits Mk.V. Contrary to that the Malta Spits had the IFF Mk.II wires installed and, as I wrote down in my notebook, these were ordered to remove in late 1943. It might have been because of introducing/replacing with the new IFF Mk.III. It is really interesting because I saw the IFF aerial in images of Seafires even dated early 1942.

While looking at the photos Wojtek posted on the previous page and checking the kit box to make sure I had all the correct parts, which I do, I noticed the kit antenna mast was devoid of pennant or "teeth" so I couldn't let that be (I blame you guys for this) First I got my thinnest piece of strip, cut a little over size and glued it to the mast and let it sit for two hours

IMG_0002.JPG

Then I took some cuticle scissors and trimmed it as close as I dare to the mast. Sanded it even closer and then took a triangle file for final shaping.

IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited:
Actually these didn't have anything in common with the VHF radio set. These were the remnants of the mount for the triangular "pennant" used for the early antenna wire mounting. There were the holes in the "teeth" for the screws attaching the "pennant"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back