GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk Vb - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vandee

Senior Airman
Aug 21, 2019
User Name: vandee
First Name: John
Category: Intermediate
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model: 61033 Spitfire Vb
Scale: 1/48 Addons: None

Here is the kit for my group build. Just arrived in the post today, The old 90s 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk Vb 61033 to be done using kit decals as No. 243 Sq. EN821 SN*M. It will start slow as I have to work around my current "injury". I was installing a shelf for my wife in the laundry and my drill bit slipped drilling a hole in my thumb nail at the base where it meets the skin. Luckily it did not go all the way through my thumb. Off to don some gloves and wash the plastic.
MKVB 1.jpg

MKVB 2.jpg

A wee bit of cockpit painting. I am using Polly Scale British interior gray green paint for the cockpit, aluminum for the area in back of the pilot's seat and silver for the oxygen bottles.
MKVB 3.jpg

Some more cockpit work, seat and bulkhead done and instrument panel painted. It is tough trying to add small parts with that bulky bandage on my thumb but it is looking better. I took the bandage off to change it and the drill actually entered my thumb just behind the nail. The wife thinks I may lose the nail.
MKVB 4.JPG

Attachments

• Thumb nail damage 2-22-2024.jpg
    Thumb nail damage 2-22-2024.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 3
I assembled the fuselage then inserted the cockpit. I had a gap of about 1 1/2 millimeters or more on the left side so I applied super glue and a "tourniquet" clamp to the left side fuselage and headrest plate where they met and went to bed. It held fairly good but I still see a very small gap on the left side of perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 millimeter. Probably just have to "squash" the canopy sections a bit to fit. So much for the superior Tamiya shake n bake fit. But then again it's a 30 year old mold, things wear out, ask my body how I know! LOL.
MKVB 5.jpg

I sanded the seams and decided to try the canopy. There was a gap where it over hung a lot so I tried squishing it a bit, the piece snapped , it has no give at all. I will see if maybe there's a Squadron vac canopy replacement.
MKVB 6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back