GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Vc Trop - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy.

just found this posted on twitter from 2019.

same date as your subject.

D-EdMBtW4AEai95.jpeg

my thoughts.

gear legs aluminium
inside doors Sky
lower surfaces look Sky too, very different colour on the slipper tank, med sea grey or the light blue ?

i know its not your subject but would they paint different aircraft in different ways in the same hanger ?
wonder if BR301 was painted again on Malta ?

The inside of the doors, and the wheels, seem to be white, which is odd. But if this is a "colourised" image, then that could explain it.
However, there is evidence of what might be overspray on the tyre, so perhaps ?
Agree the slipper tank is MSG.

The inside of the doors, and the wheels, seem to be white, which is odd. But if this is a "colourised" image, then that could explain it.
However, there is evidence of what might be overspray on the tyre, so perhaps ?
Agree the slipper tank is MSG.
Yes, now i look again, they do seem white ?

Thanks for the input guys. Yes, colorized so somewhat suspect. I've seen the black and white version if this pic whilst reading the many inconclusive discussions about colours. Not sure what I'll go with yet but whatever it is I'd love to be proven wrong!

Just to let those who are interested know, I've been somewhat fixated on trying to understand the various depictions of BR301 with the code "UF-S" applied. Beurling and others who recorded kills with this plane did so whilst on 249 Squadron. The code "UF" belonged to 601 Squadron to which BR301 was assigned prior to being used by 249. I started a thread on this at Britmodeller and there's good evidence from the squadron records that when Beurling scored his kills on July 27, 1942, the "UF" code was thinly overpainted and 249's letter "T" was applied over that. The letter S was retained.

My model will show the aircraft as it apparently looked on July 27, 28, and 29 with the 249 Squadron "T" applied and a white "S" retained from it's time with 601. The photo of BR301 posted earlier supports this assumption.

le_steph40 le_steph40 oh I see thanks! Thought someone already discovered this.

The only thing I might question is whether or not the T is white. Period pics often show something darker than the white and lighter than the yellow of the rounded so thinking maybe MSG or Sky. I'm thinking the white S of the original code might have been retained to save time and effort.

I decided to spend some time at the bench today after all. I concocted a Tamiya mix for Sky Blue which at first turned out too grey and too light so I added more blue to it. I was shooting for the swatch second from the right, taken from "British Aviation Colours of WW2" by the RAF Museum, Hendon.

Screenshot 2024-06-14 163232.png

The below pic shows the result which is a bit light under the shop lighting but I think it will do. After weathering, it's going to look very different anyway.

24061402.jpg

For those keeping score, the ratio is about 20 parts XF-2 Flat White + 2 parts XF-18 Medium Blue + 1 part XF-8 Flat Blue and there's a gloss coat applied in the above pic.

While the gloss was drying I masked the prop assembly and painted it. Blades are Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black. The spinner is a new colour that I only just discovered at my LHS, XF-88. It looked like a good match for faded Middle Stone so I picked up a bottle.

24061401.jpg

So, the plan is to paint the model in an early Tropical Land Scheme (Middle Stone/Dark Earth over Sky Blue) and then apply a thin coat of Dark Mediterranean Blue over that, allowing the desert camo to show through at some locations. If you look at the spine of the aircraft in the reference pic, it appears to be devoid of any blue topcoat and the MS/DE demarcation can be seen over the black serial number, indicating a hasty paint job to add the blue.

Thanks for looking in and for your patience. Hope to be back early to mid next week with more.

Thanks friends. In preparation for painting of the uppers, I painted and installed the gun sight (chose the oval reflector glass) and then added the windscreen and rear glazing. Excellent fit all around, which I'm happy about as I hate dealing with poor-fitting clear parts. You can see that there's a bit of an overspray dusting behind the door from painting the undersides but that's no concern.

24061701.jpg

Thanks again for your interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back