George 'Johnny' Johnson- the last of the Dambusters...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great article, thanks.

Just one thing though, he's not the last survivor. Les Munro is alive and well as far as I know, and living in Tauranga, New Zealand.

It took nine attempts to drop the bomb, am I reading that right, that means he overflew or approached the dam eight times then dropped on the ninth. The man is a hero of the highest order and I would brew up for him anytime

Just an FYI gents, but the latests issues of both Aeroplane and FlyPast both dedicate the lion's share of the issue to damnbusting raids. The added bonus comes with the FlyPast issue however, because it contains a large pull-out poster with side profiles of each Lancaster that took part in the raids, which were lost and where on a map set into the background. An must have I would imagine. Very well done.

Thanks for the tip off Jim - I'll look out for those. The RAF Museums at both Hendon and Cosford are having events to celebrate the anniversary - details can be found on the RAF Museum web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back