German Ruins from WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

At the risk of 'padding' :lol:

There are still gun emplacements in the Boulogne area that still have german troops' graffiti on the walls. Plus there's a couple of TODT structures that are long overground 'tunnels' pointing across the channel - I assumed they're where big rail guns were sheltered or V1 launch sites - couldn't find anyone around to ask.

The german underground hospital on Jersey and many other TODT structures on the Channel Islands still exist
Hohlgangsanlage 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Occupation of the Channel Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus I believe the Flak tower still stand in Berlin elsewhere as they're too damnded solid to be blown up

Flak tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

again hopefully not padding but just happened to see this re the hitler bunker

"An information panel marking the site of the bunker where Adolf Hitler committed suicide at the end of World War II has been unveiled in Berlin.
It is the first time the authorities have allowed the site, just 200 metres (220 yards) from Berlin's Holocaust Memorial, to be officially identified.

There had been fears marking the site would attract right-wing extremists. "

From BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Hitler's bunker location marked

When I was last in Berlin this site was blocked off because of construction. My understanding though is that there are parts of the bunker which are turned into a museum.

Anyone know what purpose the beams protruding from the outside served?

Attachments

• 450px-Vienna_flak_tower_dsc01576.jpg
    450px-Vienna_flak_tower_dsc01576.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 450px-Vienna_flak_tower_dsc01594.jpg
    450px-Vienna_flak_tower_dsc01594.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 80
That was first thought. But there are no doors below if they are hoist supports. And they look structural. Too close together for hoists. They look like they may be either (1) external load bearing strucure to make for more room inside or (2) structural support for architectural features that no longer exist. Hey I've been wrong before.

That was first thought. But there are no doors below if they are hoist supports.

The hoist does not have to line up with a door... it could be a long scaffold-like device that is winched up - and items are pushed to one end for unloadung.

Adler do you have any links or pics or even info of the WW2 underground aircraft construction of the Me-262 and He-162 or those that were underneath airfealds in bunkers?

Firefox has some very useful extensions as a browser for translating files and webpages in different languages. Much better than IE. I haven't yet looked at these but I will at some stage when I get a chance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back