Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original 1940's WWII Betty Kerr Baker, Royal Air Force (WAAF), PHOTO ~ Military | eBay

1584617121624.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
...@ 16, she soloed in that Jenny (her name is Caroline, though)....

View attachment 573376

...here's the story on that...
Holy wombats, Birdman, they're abusing helpless little girls, sending them up in a crate like that!! I'd gladly go in her place to save her from disaster! How bout it? Can I? Oh, come on, let me do it!
All kidding aside, what a marvelous accomplishment! And what a lucky YOUNG WOMAN!
And a great job on the video. Now that's a real stick-and-RUDDER airplane! "Feet dancing on the rudder bar", you bet!
Cheers,
Wes.

...another flying teenager....

This video stems from her dad's youtube channel.
Here's what he had to say about it.....

Here is my 16 year old daughter accomplishing her first solo flight. The airplane is a 1973 Piper Challenger with 180 horsepower. They stretched the fuselage on the Cherokee that year, and they called it a Challenger for 1973 before changing the name to "Archer" a year later. We say "Archer" on the radio since people think we're a corporate jet if we say "Challenger". I get a lot of comments about Maddie not being alone in the airplane. At 1:12 in the video you can see the camera in the back seat. You can see it again at 11:52. The image stabilization feature on the camera makes it look like the camera is moving around. It is not. It's just the camera doing its best to figure out what to do with all the motion. Also...there is a LOT of confusion between MADDIE doing this solo in 2016 and MAGGIE (who lost a wheel) doing her solo in 2018. These are two different people! Both did a great job.

Last edited:
Here is my 16 year old daughter accomplishing her first solo flight.
Now that's one focused young woman!
"You feeling OK?"
"Yup." "Archer N_ _ _ _ _ turning left downwind, one three Lennox."

"See the traffic? He's no factor."
"Yup."..."Abeam the numbers, carb heat, reduce to 1700 RPM, one notch flaps."

No chitchat, all business, head on a swivel: focussed!
You go, girl!

Did. Ran out of $$...
I would have too, except SS chased me into the service - et voila! Navy Flying Club to the rescue! Don't choke now, but my Private License cost me $677.23, including meals I bought on cross countries and my test fees. Manageable on $145/month before taxes, if you stay away from the EM club.
Avgas was 29¢/gal then.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
I would have too, except SS chased me into the service - et voila! Navy Flying Club to the rescue! Don't choke now, but my Private License cost me $677.23, including meals I bought on cross countries and my test fees. Manageable on $145/month before taxes, if you stay away from the EM club.
Avgas was 29¢/gal then.
Cheers,
Wes
You really are old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back