Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASP ferry pilots at Lockbourne Army Airfield, Ohio 1943

The four female pilots leaving their ship, USAAF B-17 Pistol Packin Mama at Lockbourne AAF, Ohio, are members of a group of WASPS who have been trained to ferry the B-17 Flying Fortresses. L to R are Frances Green, Margaret (Peg) Kirchner, Ann Waldner and Blanche Osborn. The Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) was a civilian women pilots' organization, whose members were United States federal civil service employees. Members of WASP became trained pilots who tested aircraft, ferried aircraft and trained other pilots. Their purpose was to free male pilots for combat roles during WWII. Despite various members of the armed forces being involved in the creation of the program, the WASP and its members had no military standing. WASP was preceded by the Women's Flying Training Detachment (WFTD) and the Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron (WAFS). Both were organized separately in September 1942. They were pioneering organizations of civilian women pilots, who were attached to the United States Army Air Forces to fly military aircraft during WWII. On August 5, 1943, the WFTD and WAFS merged to create the WASP organization. They flew over 60 million miles; transported every type of military aircraft; towed targets for live anti-aircraft gun practice; simulated strafing missions and transported cargo. Thirty-eight WASP members lost their lives and one disappeared while on a ferry mission, her fate still (2019) unknown. In 1977, for their WWII service, the members were granted veteran status, and in 2009 awarded the Congressional Gold Medal. USAF, 1940s.

Last edited:

I've personally flown in combat with several female pilots. One of the best pilots I have flown with is a woman. She now is in command of her own BN. Women are just as capable of flying and doing so in combat. The belief they cannot is out-dated, closed-minded, archaic, and quite honestly ignorant.

Last edited:

New here, aren't you? Don't let the door hit you in the face on your way out...

Even if your "facts" were facts, your tone is totally (and unnecessarily) insulting.

And I don't care about your dubious opinions...

Cheers,

Dana

You are the weakest link. Auf Wiedersehen...

I would point out info from studies I read in the 1960s, women have, in general, better eye to hand coordination. A Not long after I read this, I had the opportunity to teach two young women to shoot, both of them having never held or shot a firearm before. By the end of the day, both could shoot far more accurately than I could and I have marksman medals. They had no bad shooting habits to overcome. Studies show women are better pilots for long range, long hour flights because they tire less. It has to do with their physical structure. The women's center of gravity is lower in their frame than men's. A man's CG is closer to his shoulders which causes more muscle strain to sit upright for long periods while the female GC is closer to her hips. I remember a sports car magazine from the 60' or 70' had an article from a British survey that concluded the best British drivers were 19 year old girls in sports cars. (I looked, but could not find one.) To be fair, my bias may be because I have three daughters, a grand daughter and a great grand daughter. Somewhere, I think in this thread, one can find my second daughter with my .44 magnum using up my ammunition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread