Goodyear F2G-1 "Super Corsair"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wojtek you make some good points about the weight of aircraft and the affect on the tyres. A point of interest that modellers sometimes over do in my opinion.

Unfortunately you are right Heinz.I think that it is because of a kind of a fashion.Somebody did these flats to his model tyres to impress judges with it and it worked.So everyone now does these.But what for?
My experience says it is very hard to impress judges with something new.Probably the guys have seen almost all.:lol:

It´s a question of the kind of the tire: Low, middle or high pressure tires.
In my opinion the Corsair is a middlepressure tire. so it is ok.

Certainly it is your choice friend.But what kind of tyres were used with Corsaire we should ask Micdrow for instance.I think WW2 aircraft usually used low pressure in tyres.I'll send him PM.

Micdrow is a moderator there.Besides, he is very good at the technical problems.No wonder, he is an Equipment Tech.If you need some manuals you can ask him for, there is no problem to find it with him.:D

It´s a question of the kind of the tire: Low, middle or high pressure tires.
In my opinion the Corsair is a middlepressure tire. so it is ok.

I've found out that Corsair had highpressure tyres of the main landing gear ( tyre 813X203 mm).The tail wheel was all of rubber (317X114mm).So therefore tyres in pics of Corsairs aren't so flat.

Ive only seen one corsair that I can remember with tires looking like they where low like that and that corsair does not fly any more. Its located in the EAA's museum.

Below are some corsair's with bomb loads. Look at the tires and its your call.

Enjoy

Attachments

• corsair.JPG
    corsair.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 149
  • cr.JPG
    cr.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 135
I've found out that Corsair had highpressure tyres of the main landing gear ( tyre 813X203 mm).The tail wheel was all of rubber (317X114mm).So therefore tyres in pics of Corsairs aren't so flat.

I believe the tail wheel came as both solid rubber and pressurized. See picture's below of two different corsair tail wheels. The one on the left would be the solid one and the one on the right is a pressurized one. I believe the dimention's for both types where the same.

Attachments

• tail 1.JPG
    tail 1.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 123
  • tial.JPG
    tial.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 120
Yes you are right.So there was possibility to replace then according to places of taking off like Wildcat had.Good find.:)

Unfortunately you are right Heinz.I think that it is because of a kind of a fashion.Somebody did these flats to his model tyres to impress judges with it and it worked.So everyone now does these.But what for?
My experience says it is very hard to impress judges with something new.Probably the guys have seen almost all.:lol:

Wurger: good point about impressing the judges. Here's another thought. I think the first guys to do it probably misinterpreted some photos they saw. An aircraft with under serviced tires being looked at as a "ready aircraft". Then someone comes along spouting B.S. that he knows all about Corsairs and that's how the tires were. Then everyone else goes along with him because they're not sure and they don't want to get ragged on. Back in the mid '70's a guy did an article in Scale Modeller Magazine on an F4U display he had done and if he had left it at "this is how I built it" everything would have been fine but he started talking about how a friend of his owned a Corsair and he knew all about Corsairs because all he had to do was check out his friends plane. But here was the problem, one of the photos he included of his "friends Corsair" was out of a book about the F4U which I had. It showed the main landing gear of a Corsair but without a brake assembly and his model didn't have brake assemblies either. I still have that Mag. I guess as a reminder not to get a big head over anything.

I believe the tail wheel came as both solid rubber and pressurized. See picture's below of two different corsair tail wheels. The one on the left would be the solid one and the one on the right is a pressurized one. I believe the dimention's for both types where the same.

Micdrow I wonder if the solid was for carrier deck use and the pneumatic version was for the "beach". OR maybe one of the differences between early and later model Corsairs?

Ok. I read a lot and I learn a lot. Thank you comrades!!!
Please tell me: Can I take the tire from Special Hobby or should I take better the origin from Italieri?

I think it's up to you.If you think these tyres from Special Hobby look better and are much more accurate than these from the kit then use them.If not you can always correct the Italieri set of wheels.

Micdrow I wonder if the solid was for carrier deck use and the pneumatic version was for the "beach". OR maybe one of the differences between early and later model Corsairs?

Hi Dougrd,

I agree with your first post.It is also a good point on how to a model should be build accurately.Therefore I repeat it to all beginners and not only,if it is wanted to make a a good replic it is needed to use many different material,infos on it.If there are some doubts a modeller has to make them clear before the model assembling is started.And therefore I like thw Trecker's attitude towards this problem.He had asked about the wheels before the model was finished and these parts were fixed.

Now about your second post.We,I mean Micdrow and me, agreed that it is possible that the solid rubber tail wheel was used for a deck like the same of Wildcat.I haven't found any info on that it was a difference between the early or later Corsair versions.But I'll go through some book again and pay my attention to this.

As Wurger said we have been discussing this in pm's for a while. I havnt been home for the last couple of days but want to look at this deeper. Im thinking of checking out the TBM or TBF ones and see if I can find the same thing. It does point in that direction that the solid tail wheels where indeed more for carriers and the pressurized version were more for land based enviroments. I have not found and direct documentation on the subject though.

As Wurger said we have been discussing this in pm's for a while. I havnt been home for the last couple of days but want to look at this deeper. Im thinking of checking out the TBM or TBF ones and see if I can find the same thing. It does point in that direction that the solid tail wheels where indeed more for carriers and the pressurized version were more for land based enviroments. I have not found and direct documentation on the subject though.

I'm not 100% on that either, but I do know that the A-1D Skyraider carried a solid rubber tailwheel on the carrier-based versions (i.e.: USN), and that the pneumatic version of the tailwheel was for the land-based (i.e.: USAF) versions of the A-1D. It would make sense that they'd do the same thing with the Corsair.

Ive been doing some research on the tail wheel on the Avenger and this is what Ive come up with. First one I believe is solid and the last two are what I think are two different types of pressurized tire's. See what you think.

Attachments

• advenger 2.JPG
    advenger 2.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 131
  • advenger 1.JPG
    advenger 1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 132
  • advenger.JPG
    advenger.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 128
Two types of tail wheels. Solid rubber for carrier work, pnueumatic for land-based. A hold over from the early 1940s.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back