Graf Zeppelin may have been found

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Smokey

Senior Airman
Dec 17, 2004
SimHQ Forums: OT: wreck of Graf Zeppelin located?

Two weeks ago, on the 12th of July 2006, a ship belonging to Petrobaltic (a Polish oil company) found a 265 m. long wreck close to the port of Łeba which may be the Graf Zeppelin

From

German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MaritimeQuest - Graf Zeppelin

Attachments

• 01_graf_zeppelin.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 02_graf_zeppelin.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 03_graf_zeppelin.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 244
Graf Zeppelin in the sonar pics...

Attachments

• gz4.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 249
  • gz3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 239
  • gz2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 243
  • gz1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 234
  • gz6.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 241
  • gz7.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 242
  • gz8.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 228
I think give it a version of the Horton 229 flying off the decks as a naval fighter and we could see an interesting result. Regardless it is fascinating. There is a little bit of a question- if the wreck is WW2 and not Graf Zeppelin then who or what is it? It certainly does seem the right size, and shape. From memory Graf Zeppelin was a battleship being converted into an aircraft carrier. Therefore we can't actually be totally sure how she would have performed in any weather.

It has been confirmed as the wreck of the GZ. I cant wait till someone goes down there though and takes some pics of it. She was a beautiful ship and I would love too see what she looks like now.

It would also be interesting to know how much of her was ever completed. I wonder just how much of the equipment necessary for an aircraft carrier she had when she sank? Also what was her hull like? The records I think are educated guesses.

She was almost completed and had her engines fitted but still needed a lot of stuff to make her a fully operational aircraft carrier. The Russians maybe took what they wanted from her so we will never know in what state the was in at the time they sank her.

Users who are viewing this thread