Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After I finish Shattered Sword (I've yet to start it, but it's on deck as I'm about finished with my current reading), I'll check TSoB out. I certainly appreciate the recco, and have bookmarked your post for later reference. Thanks!

The Science of Bombing has a good amount of preview pages available on Google Books (or at least it does in my area) so you should be able to get a good idea of its content and style.

Sooner or later I'm getting my old computer back and running. I've got way too many important files on there! I miss be able to directly cite stuff --- going by (sometimes uncertain) memory is nowhere near as good

I couldn't find a preview, but I've ordered it based on your word-of-mouth. It better be good, dammit! It's coming from England, but free shipping sees it here in about a month. That should give me time to read SS too.

I couldn't find a preview, but I've ordered it based on your word-of-mouth. It better be good, dammit! It's coming from England, but free shipping sees it here in about a month. That should give me time to read SS too.

Google Books has changed the way they show things compared to a few months ago, and perhaps it varies by browser. This link works for me; click the "preview" button to get a preview. (It's easier to use the old presentation in my opinion; click the "classic Google Books" link at the top of the page.)

The Science of Bombing

It's coming from England? Seems a bit odd, the book was originally published by University of Toronto press.

I just ordered the cheapest offer with free shipping, which was about $26. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I entirely agree that there was some rather muddled, or overly-wishful, thinking when it came to employment of the AASF. However, the problem goes much further than just how to use the Battles or Blenheims. The French and British prepared for a war that didn't happen. They expected a repeat of 1914-1917 with relatively static front-lines. What they got was more a repeat of 1918, which was far more maneouvrist in nature. A 4-6 hour delay in tasking is fine if you have a static front line but it's useless if the front line is moving rapidly. I sense that the defensive posture of the French (which effectively prevented the use of AASF against targets in Germany) relied entirely on a static battle. Unfortunately, it was entirely undone by the type of warfare Germany executed with such success.

As to BC-vs-CC, your comment about "it's not all or nothing" cuts both ways. The first u-boat sunk solely by an aircraft in WW2 was on 11 March 1940 when an 82 Sqn Blenheim sank U-31, and 82 Sqn was part of BC not CC. A large proportion of BC"s tasking in the middle of 1940 was directly targeting port facilities in Germany and occupied Europe. Thus BC could, with some justification, claim that they were affecting the maritime fight by hurting Germany's ability to resupply and repair vessels. The bang-per-buck in flying hours-vs-effects delivered was probably better than pushing Blenheims to CC to join in the needle-in-a-haystack hunt for u-boats when the best sensor available was a pair of binoculars (yes, ASV MkI was available but it had a rather long minimum range, so targets were lost at the critical point of attack initiation).

This myth was recently de-bunked. The Brewster Buffalo wasn't the worst of the "FirstGen" WW 2 fighters. It was outclassed but perhaps not hopelessly. It was further damned by obsolete tactics, inexperienced crews and poor build quality, as well has not having any technological edge. It never would have been a dominant force. Perhaps, as "what-iffed" by The Admiral, it had been able to intercept the bombers attacking Force Z? It might have had a better legacy.
I wonder what the breakdown of its score against Western Allied fighters is? I'm most interested in the results against the P-36, P-39 and Hurricane. These were other Allied planes at the "starting gate" not known for stellar performance.

Conversely, after the Battle of Midway, the IJN mandated all Hinomarus (the rising sun insignia) be removed from all aircraft carriers, because the SBDs were using that as an aim-point and were either hitting it dead-in or missing by a few feet - the Hinomaru painted on the carrier's decks were just shy of 40 feet across...

Absolutely correct. Having a treasure trove of source NAA documents and access to NARA/USFAHR enabled Lowell and me to state from a direct source rather than cut and paste from well known authors on our book. That said, when our sources on a particular Mustang 'fact' there were very, very few mistakes made by Bob Gruenhagen. My research on P-51B Mustang: NAA's Bastard Stepchild that saved 8th AF started a long time ago and one by one many facts extracted from Ethell, Freeman, etc. were simply 'cut and paste' from previous works and not footnoted- and incorrect.

Many authors that we hold in esteem do not footnote sources that are presented as fact in their works - and many errors of 'opinions based on facts' become whole irrefutable facts in the minds of those authors.

That said we are all cursed with lens that have a film of 'point of view', including me. I, despite my charm, awesome intellect and grasp of several technical disciplines have made Many mistakes. Who knew?

One myth is that Bomber Command losses dropped dramatically in 1944 from about 10% to 1% as a result of the Americans destroying the Luftwaffe in the day.

This certainly was a contributing factor, but the main reason was that the RAF cottoned on that the Luftwaffe was tracking bombers from their emissions, Monica, IFF and H2S.

One myth is that Bomber Command losses dropped dramatically in 1944 from about 10% to 1% as a result of the Americans destroying the Luftwaffe in the day.

That myth doesn't even make sense. What would suppressing the Luftwaffe's daytime fighter force have to do with its night-fighter force? They're two different forces with two very different ways of fighting. (On occasion night-fighters were sent up to help intercept particularly heavy daytime USAAF raids, with the result usually being the night-fighters suffering heavy losses.)

Never let facts or logic get in the way of a good myth/legend

I think bomber command suffering sustained losses of 10% in 1944 is a myth.

Harris stated the notable improvement in 1944 was mainly due to the allied ground forces overruning the German early warning lines in Belgium and France.

Fidget, Mandrel, Jostle IV, new Window (MB), new radar/signals procedures, as well as Monica restriction all certainly contributed -- but the gains of all these are hard to quantify scientifically since they were thrown into the mix at about the same time.

The invasion forces robbing the Germans their setup in the west was a massive benefit to Bomber Command.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread