Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was just referring to the radii with dates for the P-47 and Spitfire, until a certain number of missions had been made to push the LW back, putting tanks to go further didnt make a great deal of sense was how I saw things or is that wrong?

Not from this site, but on the topic of debunking, a couple of people dug into the story of the RAF dropping a wooden bomb on a fake German airfield which
was occupied by fake wooden aircraft as decoys - to make fun of them.

Seems the root of the story was pretty much a paragraph in a book which amounted to "some guy I once knew said that a thing happened", (a bit like the P-38 story)

The "wooden bomb" which is on display, was pointed out not to be a fake bomb either >

Most people agreed that although it was immensely unlikely to be true, they would carry on
sort of believing it because it was "a nice story".

Of course, this forum finally debunked the myth that the P-39 had an armoured heater in the nose .................
Actually it did have an armored heater, just not very good.

The armor plate went around the gear box, protecting the long heating device behind the propeller with 30 single use fast acting heat tubes in the horseshoe

I'll get my coat...............................

Users who are viewing this thread