Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The only tanks dropped early were the 200/205 gal un-pressurized C/L Ferry tank somewhere 18K - often with half a tank of fuel remaining. Otherwise drop when attacked. BTW that is why ALL Combat Radius charts are prepared based o longest datum for which a fight and return flight home is solely on internal fuel available.
I was just referring to the radii with dates for the P-47 and Spitfire, until a certain number of missions had been made to push the LW back, putting tanks to go further didnt make a great deal of sense was how I saw things or is that wrong?

From 1943 - did the Germans really bomb Dover in July 1940 with Chesapeakes?

Scan0659.jpg

Not from this site, but on the topic of debunking, a couple of people dug into the story of the RAF dropping a wooden bomb on a fake German airfield which
was occupied by fake wooden aircraft as decoys - to make fun of them.

Seems the root of the story was pretty much a paragraph in a book which amounted to "some guy I once knew said that a thing happened", (a bit like the P-38 story)

The "wooden bomb" which is on display, was pointed out not to be a fake bomb either >

1664439746853.png

Most people agreed that although it was immensely unlikely to be true, they would carry on
sort of believing it because it was "a nice story".

:rolleyes:

Of course, this forum finally debunked the myth that the P-39 had an armoured heater in the nose .................
Actually it did have an armored heater, just not very good.

p39gun-jpg.jpg

The armor plate went around the gear box, protecting the long heating device behind the propeller with 30 single use fast acting heat tubes in the horseshoe :)

I'll get my coat...............................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back