Greatest Bomber of All Time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Has to be the B52. As others have mentioned there are a number of worthy contenders but the B52 has been around longer than most of the parents of the crews that fly them, something of a record. Its still in the front line and has a combat record second to none.

The 60 year record is quite something. Its a bit like a HP 0-400 taking part in the first Gulf War.

Nothing comes close

Has to be the B52. As others have mentioned there are a number of worthy contenders but the B52 has been around longer than most of the parents of the crews that fly them, something of a record. Its still in the front line and has a combat record second to none.

The 60 year record is quite something. Its a bit like a HP 0-400 taking part in the first Gulf War.

Nothing comes close

Especially when you consider the B-52 has been flying for over half the years that the airplane has been flying.

Too broad a question IMO.

How can you compare a WW.I bomber with a WW.II or modern bomber? Just no contest in capabilities. (Not to mention the differences between a medium bomber, dive bomber, heavy bomber, and torpedo bomber as previously mentioned)

My 'favourite' bomber of all time is the Lancaster, one of the best heavy bombers of it's era, and my favourite fighter/bomber of all time the A-4 Skyhawk.

I asked about the "greatest" not the "best". It's not raw performance capabilities, but what the plane achieved in its lifetime and its long term influence on aviation history that determines its "greatness". For example the Handly Page 0/100 or Avro Lancaster are both far "greater" than the B-58 Hustler or the B-1B, even though the two jets could fly rings around them in every way imaginable.

To me, there cannot be any bomber greater than the Boeing B-52, which has remained in first line service of over 50 years, although the B-17 or Lancaster to come close.

Ask any man on the street, anywhere in the world, what a bomber looks like and he'll describe a B-52. Any plane that has third generation pilots flying it has to be the greatest!

My pick?

The one that never was, the North American XB-70.

The more serious pick, top 3, B 1 , Tu 160 B 52.....although the B2 is probably streets ahead in reality, but there's less than 25 of them.

My fav the Avro Vulcan.

B52, for all the reasons already stated (I don't think I need to repeat them!) It doesn't really "do it" for me like the B-1 or the other more elegant bombers, or even the WW2 heavies I love, but it is the Greatest of all time.

I don't like comparing different generations, but for me the B-52 has to be the greatest all time. Just from shear capability, and for crying out loud it is still in active service with no end in sight.

If I had to rank them all from different eras, I would probably do so as such...

B-52
Vulcan
B-1
Bear
Blackjack
B-29
Lancaster
B-17
Mossie
Ju 88
B-24

Of course there are many more that I did not list, and my list could be altered. I think the top 3 though are pretty dead on based off of capability and service. This kind of topic can be debated forever.

Favorites now is something totally different.

B-17
Ju 88
B-52
B-29
Lancaster

Just be a little light hearted, so don't get butt hurt...;)

This is what it really comes down to.

1. Our UK and comminwealth fans will undoubtably argue the Lancaster or Vulcan.

2. True aircraft enthusiests don't have to argue, they know that it is the BUFF! :D

Last edited:
Just for fun Caproni Bomber
:lol:
I take this then:
500x331xFokker+T.pagespeed.ic.vS7ZgEb-gH.jpg

You just can't really select a "greatest" of all time bomber out of all ages, some bombers that held great potential were never realized because they were either ahead or behind hostilities and didn't get a chance to prove themselves.

This does remind me of a joke, though:
"How do you break up an Iraqi bingo game?"
"Call out B 52"

Pretty pointless to discuss really if everyone is going to just work out which bomber has been in service longest. Just because the USAAF never got round to buying a replacement for an aircraft that would last about as long as a birthday cake candle near a modern fighter doesnt mean its necessarily the greatest. Thats like saying the Model T Ford is greater than a Mercedes SLK because it was in production for 25 years.

Having said all that I have a list of 6 in mind and the B52 is one of them. In age order I think the following deserve the handle greatest because when they first flew they were by far the best.
DeHavilland DH4
Martin B10
DeHavilland Mosquito
Boeing B29
EE Canberra
Boeing B52

Pretty pointless to discuss really if everyone is going to just work out which bomber has been in service longest. Just because the USAAF never got round to buying a replacement for an aircraft that would last about as long as a birthday cake candle near a modern fighter doesnt mean its necessarily the greatest. Thats like saying the Model T Ford is greater than a Mercedes SLK because it was in production for 25 years.

Not quite the same.
The worth of the B52 is shown by the replacements that have been designed and put into service, The B1, B1A, B2 and you might include the F111 in this list. However the B52 is still there. If the Model T ford was still in front line operation doing the job it was designed to do in the 1970's then it would get my vote as the greatest car ever built.
However I don't remember seeing many Model T Fords in Vietnam which is roughly the same time span.

I would choose a plane that represents a quantum leap at least in some aspects of performance:
- Zeppelin-Staaken
- Martin B-10
- Mosquito
- B-29
- Ar-234
- B-36
- B-58
- Avro Vulcan
- B-2

The main reason of the longevity of the B-52 and Tu-95 is probably more fiscal than anything else.

797px-Buccaneer_S2B_Mildenhall_1988.jpg

WHAT! Nobody mentioned the Blackburn Buccaneer? After the A-6 My all time favorite 'NFO'-carrying attack/'bomber' aircraft. The Buc could do all the A-6 could do but for over a bit shorter distance and without carrying quite as much but with a LOT more class and style. A lovely package.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back