Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, actually, despite its poor performance in theatres other than Finland, the poor old Buffalo still achieved an overall kill-to-loss ratio of 26:1 (ok...claim to loss, but you get my drift). Therefore, statistically speaking, we should have scrapped all the Hurricanes, Spitfires, P-47s, and P-51s and just pumped out as many Buffalos as possible.

There....does that mean I can now be admitted to the Worshipful Company of Groundhogs?

But unfortunately it's a rather tubby, unattractive aircraft; it if looked cooler it'd probably be rated at least a little higher.

*SNIP*
Whoa whoa whoa here... just whoa...

Them's fightin' words sonny...

Eye of the beholder remember.

*EDIT*

Just remember, you're talking to a guy that thinks French pre-dreadnoughts are cool.

Why yes, I do see a therapist once a week, why do you ask?

Last edited:
First, nobody can prove British intent. I can't prove that the British intended to make the P-400 too heavy to make the performance guarantee. You can't prove that they didn't. But they certainly knew that a 7850lb P-400 with a 1150hp engine couldn't go 400mph, especially when their contemporary 6600lb Spitfire V would only go 371mph with a more powerful engine. And Bell knew that the P-400 couldn't make the guarantee, certainly not at 7850lbs. Who's fooling who? A P-400 tested in the US did go 371mph albeit at a lower altitude.

The IFF was useless in 1942 NG because there was no accurate radar until fall. The British DID order it but once the P-400s were diverted to NG the IFF would have been removed. To save the weight.

The gas cockpit heater WAS useless. Specified on the Bell Model 14 (P-400 and P-39D-1/2 EXPORT models) it caused radio static when in use and had an indicator on the instrument panel for when it overheated. Very effective ducted air system used on all the other P-39 models (D/F/K/L/M/N/Q) didn't cause radio static and didn't overheat.

The British rushed their 20mm cannon into production because even eight 30calMGs were proven ineffective in the BoB. No AAF or USN fighters used 30s in WWII except the P-39. They were redundant on a plane with cannon and heavy MG centerline armament. And it's effective range was only 200yds. Sure there are mistakes in AHT, as with any reference. But you haven't proven that the EFFECTIVE range was any farther.

First, nobody can prove British intent. I can't prove that the British intended to make the P-400 too heavy to make the performance guarantee. You can't prove that they didn't.
To prove any "intent" the British would have to impose conditions on Bell that they didn't impose on anyone else either British or American. That is easily settled, all needed self sealing tanks, armour and IFF. Before any P-39 came to UK the British were fitting all of that to Hurricanes, as well as 12 x 0.303mgs or 4 x 20mm. They were also fitting cannon to Spitfires in 1940, how many times can this be gone over? The Bf 109 and Fw 190 retained rifle calibre guns until the end of the war BTW.

How many times are you going to twist this around? It's not that they needed armor, it's HOW MUCH ARMOR. Yes the British were still using 30calMGs after the BoB, but the AAF WAS NOT. Except for the P-39. The British were using a few 20mm cannon in the BoB, but VERY VERY FEW on an experimental basis. They were unreliable and didn't hold enough ammunition at that stage of their development. The British did need IFF but the AAF DID NOT in NG in '42.

You are the one that continues to troll. If you don't like it, stop trolling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread