Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Best military acronym I came across was at RAF Laarbruch in the early 1990s. One of the units stationed there was 2 Squadron flying recce Tornados. Like most HAS sites, the 2 Sqn dispersal had a range of hardened and non-hardened buildings, all painted dark green. There was flight ops, the engineering HQ etc...and then there was the TPOT (pronounced Tee-Pot). One visitor asked what TPOT stood for...and the no-kidding answer was That Place Over There. Essentially, it was a leftover building from the wet film recce days which didn't have a real purpose in the digital imagery age. I have to say TPOT fitted the bill rather well as the name for a nondescript, general purpose building

The shop that I worked at for ages had several departments that all answered to the General Manager.
In his office were several paperwork trays that were for work orders, billing submissions, pending contracts and so on.
They were all labeled accordingly except for one at the bottom, which had a cryptic "JHCWTFN" label.
Curiosity got the better of me one day and I asked him what that was for, he stated that it was specifically for state (California) billing submissions that had been kicked back for reasons such as spelling errors, the text touched the line below the entry field (seriously) and so on. When the bill was returned, it meant regenerating the COM214, having it approved and resubmitted.

Aparently, the "JHCWTFN" was what he'd say when getting one of these refused billing submissions

Translated: Jesus H. Christ, What The F*!#k Now???

There is a very simple chart in the pilot's manual. And reading Edwards Park's book about the P-39 in NG. And AHT, Vees for Victory, and many other reference books.

The only thing you have proven is that you don't know how to read and use these very simple charts.

Not insulting you, so don't go there. Just pointing out facts.

Last edited:
I read Nanette, Edwards Park's first book about 20 years ago, so I knew the local library had a copy, so I checked it out a reread it last night, and today.
Not a big book, just 186 pages.

It describes their take off and joining up procedures.

P39 expert left out one important detail. A circle.

They did take off 2 by 2, then joined another 2 to form a flight.
Then the first 4 began a climbing circle, the other flights joined during the circling climb.
When everything was done right, they'd usually have all 4 flights joined by the time they'd completed one circle, and take a heading for their assigned mission.

A lot of the missions were done with just one flight, but joined other flights from another of the many fields around Port Moresby, P40s or P38s..

I'll quote Park from Nanette pg 18-19.
" But that wasn't the thing that was really wrong about the P-39 ( he's referring to it's tumbling habit ) The plane was simply underpowered for the kind of work it was supposed to do. It could not climb high enough or quickly enough, it could not go fast enough except in a dive, ( when it had a tendency to go too fast), it could not maneuver handily enough. It's controls were extremely delicate. The slightest hint of abruptness on the pilots part would be rewarded with a high speed stall .

Just the words of one man who flew the P-39

Great post!
Unfortunately, the Bell product authority discounts actual pilot accounts - except Chuck Yeager, who liked his trainer for some reason...

The best acronym I ever saw was FASOTRAGRULANT.
That's the command I worked for 3 1/2 years, except I was in the Key West detachment. Back in the day it handled all the training aids, from Operational Flight Trainers/Weapons System Trainers (OFT/WSTs, how's that for an acronym?) on down to tape recorders, film projectors and film libraries and everything in between, with detachments at each NAS on or near the east coast. FASOTRAGRULANT dets were manned by TDs (TraDevMen [and women!]), AKA "Toy Doctors" or "Turd Dunkers", depending on how reliably their equipment was performing on any given day. I must confess my ancient vaccum tube analog computer radar trainer kept me in Turd Dunker territory much of the time. Seventeen cabinets full of servos and tube type op amps that had a penchant for only burning out the rare and hard to get tubes.
Sometime in the late 80s, the Navy elected to abolish the TD rate and let the work out to contract, as the technology was getting too advanced to get recruits up to speed before their enlistments ran out, and the career petty officers were leaving to work for the flight sim companies and the airlines.
TDs were resented by the seagoing Navy, as nearly all the billets were ashore, the only shipboard TDs being the PLAT system techs on carriers. When the rate was abolished, I'm told TDs that wanted to stay in the service were converted to ICs (Interior Communication men) and banished to the black shoe Navy to spend the rest of their careers at sea. (So much for highfalutin beachbound airedales!) Oh well, it was a heck of a gig while it lasted.
I understand FASOTRAGRULANT has had its first "A" changed from "Aviation" to "Avionics" as Greg said and now the dets are advanced schools for Com/Nav, airborne ASW, and airborne Radar/Fire Control techs who will be going where civilian tech reps can't.

Last edited:

What? So you mean the reference material was selectively cherry-picked? I'm shocked...SHOCKED, I tell you!

Users who are viewing this thread