Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Why bother? The 37mm is unreliable. It's just ballast. The synchronized fifties fire too slow. And the wing mounted .30s are too weak to do damage. best remove them and fill the gun bays with beer so you can have a cold one when you land. Or maybe not. They tend to get shaken up when you tumble.

In case anyone is interested, I found this in my files the other day - no idea where I found it originally. I would assume this is the ~basis for the weight of 6690 lbs used in the Wright Field tests. As in most cases with USAAF useful load charts, the radio Command Set is probably included in the Weight Empty.

P-39C usefull load copy.jpg

Why bother? The 37mm is unreliable. It's just ballast. The synchronized fifties fire too slow. And the wing mounted .30s are too weak to do damage. best remove them and fill the gun bays with beer so you can have a cold one when you land. Or maybe not. They tend to get shaken up when you tumble.

I was going to suggest a flamethrower, but upon further reflection, how about a battering ram?

And hope your wingman is out of gun range?

If he's a GOOD wingman, then he's in a spin right beside you, so you have to let go of the trigger and re-engage it once per revolution to avoid killing your wingman. The timing is sort of to the tune of Foggy Mountain Breakdown or a John Phillip Sousa march. Properly done, you sling bullets everywhere for a very short time since the round per gun weren't all that much ... 200 rpg for the two nose-mounted 50's and 300 rpg for the four wing-mounted 30's. The cannon had a massive 30 rounds. That assumes a P-39N.

Of course, you are then out of ammunition and the CG has migrated aft to the point where it is tough to recover from said spin, especially simultaneously in formation, with both of you headed in the same direction.

That was all made even MORE difficult if there happened to be four P-39s spinning in formation!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back