Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think you should. I would put the Corsair, P-38, Zero, Hellcat, atleast for starters. There were many more that could follow into that catagory. It is funny though how the aircraft fromt he european theatre seem to get more attention then those of the pacific, atleast that is what it seems like.

P-40!!! C.C any Poll would need to be set up for fighter or Bomber and you would have to say Naval or Land base. To my top fighters would be the A6M, P-40, Ki-43, P-38, F6F, F4U

Also Spitfire, and Hurrcaines were used. So you have lots to lok at.
Bombers, Betty, B-24, B-24, B-29- This is the one place where the B-17 was removed early in the war

WE Do need more Pacific dscussion, and yes it is and was always Second fiddle to Europe and as 1944 came along even more so because OVERLORD was so important

Here are my list:

1. Battle of Britain: as this was the first time it
was proven that the Nazi war machine was not
unstoppable and did have a weakness.
2. Stalingrad: This marked the high-water mark of
Nazi expansion across Europe as soon they were
engaged in retreat.
3. D-Day the storming of the Normandy Beaches which
pushed the Germans away from their airfields and
bases in France that they had been using to
batter Britain.
4. Midway: An important battle which threw the
Japanese into a head-long battle in which a lot
of the Japanese High-seas fleet was lost
including almost the entirity of the Japanese
High-Seas Fleet.
5. Iwo Jima: This threw the Japanese back towards
their own home-land from their fortified
positions in the islands of the Pacific.
6. The Mission to stop the Nazis developing Heavy
Water for making an Atomic Bomb. This commando
mission saved America and Britain from the
prospect of Allied Cities getting decimated by
the atomic bomb.

These are the five battles that I consider most important out of WW2. These are just my personal list. The sixth one is added as I personally think this is important as Germany had bombers with the range to bomb the US and an atomic bomb would have been added threat in this situation. The Amerika bombers were designed by Germany to have the range to reach America from bases in Germany. So far as I know they did actually carry out bombing raids on the US that didn't do much damage.

The Mission to stop the Nazis developing Heavy
Water for making an Atomic Bomb. This commando
mission saved America and Britain from the
prospect of Allied Cities getting decimated by
the atomic bomb.

i saw a program about that and what they did was amazing, operation grouse it was called (proberly not spelled correctly).....................

although interestingly that wasn't the only time we had to destroy german heavy water, after the raid on the factory that made the stuff, they had some left and were shipping it into germany, the only place we could stop it was when it was on the boat so we sunk the boat with the heavy water, the lake was to deep for the germans to dive down and get the heavy water, they had some of the most amazing technology in the world, but they couldn't invent a decent diving suit

HealsDevo:
Your ist of Battles is a good one, but Midway was much closer then you make it out and stopped Japanese expansion west. It was a head-long battle, but one to bring out the American Carriers. If the Navy had not been able to break the codes and also confirm that it was midway island, as it was never refered to by name, then things would have been very different.

Iwo, was very importent for the airforce. The air Core needed it as a safe landing place for shot up B-29s. It was on a direct rute to and from the Marianas were the bombers were based. Also from Iwo formosa and the home Islands could be reached by fighters.

In total I like your list. I would say that we should talk of important battles in each Theatere. As the Pacific, Europe, Africa, and The China-Burma-India weer all very different.

Now Wellcome to your little bit of the Internet. Please pull up a chair and hang out your shingle. I have read a bit about the German bomberes but not that they did bomb the US, Japan bobing the Mainland yes.

When I suggested those aircraft up there for a pacific poll it was just a beginning there are so many aircraft to include in that list, the list is endless, just like in the european theatre.

Okay will deffinatly have to go and check it out, maybe I can learn some new stuff about the pacific aircraft I have never really studied them as much as the aircraft from the european theatre

CC, thanks for the pol. Yes the list would go on and on, but i thought I would put in some thought. Now for battles here, What of Dunkirk! If the German's would have used the irpower they had the British and allies would have been sunk in the channel. Any thoughts on that? I have read the Hitler did not let the Airforce go after them

Lanc true, but I was reading that Hitler would not let the generals have a full atack because he thought that England had been beat bad and would ask for peace turms. Well he was wrong and the 330,000 men were brought home to fight again.

Yes the Stukas did do a lot of damage and nearly 5,000 men were taken POW and some marched as far as Poland, but if the Panzers were to have moved on the beaches, that would have been bad.

Users who are viewing this thread