Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I also do not know much about the Pacific theatre but there were some very gallant and large important battles fought there. II think the one that stands out the most for me is the Battle of Guadalcanal. (did I spell that right). The Pacific theatre saw some of the greatest Naval Air Warfair battles of all times. The Pacific paved the way for the Aircraft Carrier to become Queens of the Seas.

Ok if we really want to talk the Pacific, then it should be on it's own topic and let me have tonight to get some things together.

But please know I am not the only one who posts here that knows the Pacific. And C.C. the P-38 really shinned there :)

An argument could be said there... The Hellcat had the Highest Kill:Loss Ratio of Allied planes in the Pacific...

Commander David McCampbell had 34 Kills while flying the Hellcat, and would have taken the record from Dick Bong if he was allowed another tour of Duty....

In one morning sortie, McCampbell had shot down nine enemy planes...

In one combat tour, McCampbell shot down 34 Japanese aircraft.... If he had served a second tour, he may very well have exceeded Dick Bong's total of 40... In recognition of his spectacular accomplishments: leading "Fabled Fifteen," personally accounting for 34 planes, and for his mission on October 24, McCampbell received the Congressional Medal of Honor, presented to him by President Roosevelt...

If the Pacific War started with the Hellcat in service as opposed to the Wildcat, we'd all be singing a different tune about the Hellcat....

Well said, Les! The Hellcat's contribution in the Pacific was significant. I can't wait for our Hellcat to return to the Museum in January. It has been on temporary assignment in Texas. Ours is painted up as Minsi III, Davis McCampbell's bird.

The Hellcat was very good, but that is not to say the F4F Wildcat could not dance with the IJN. True she was not as nimble or graced as the Zero, but the F4F would do its best to get you home.

AS for the P-38, she was very good and could have been better if the P-47 and P-51 programs did not take the escourt jobs. But if the war went on Grummens two finest Cats were ready, the F7F and the F8F!!!

I hope to have our deadicated Pacific thread ready this weekend, if there are no objections? :confused:

As for this topic, have you concidered what did not hapen? If Japa is convinced not to attack the US by Germany then how long would the US have stayed out? ;)

Yeah but what about the Corsair. It was quite an aircraft. Compared to the P-38 or the P-40 or the Hellcat it entered the war late but it was a major contributor too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back