guess who (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hehe, not exactly, they're just E M signalling units. Basically the things that control telephone handsets. That was my Wideband class. The gear behind everyone else in call the AN/UCC-4, or Yuck-4 in our jargon. It was a 600 channel FDM phone system. It was a museum piece in those days, but it worked. I knew that system inside out 20 years ago. They've all been decommisioned as far as I know replace with the TDM system called DEB/DRAMA.

Funny, I spent more training time on the UCC-4 but the least amount of repair time on it! Go figure.

Your lucky Evan we still use FDM TDM kit and in some very remote places Strowger gear from the 60s. What a pain in the arse it is to keep that going I can tell you.

Ive got some equipment thats alot older Evan it was only 15 years ago we got rid of the last glass Leclanche cells with cloth bag anodes and they dated from the early 1900's
The funny thing is we also use fly by wire control systems as well.
Talk about contrasts.

Not uncommon. I was working on that FDM system and also on the latest SATCOMM gear. We also had teletypes from WWII that we still used! I would think they have gotten rid of them by now. Whats really funny is we have that same model of teletype in our museum!

Dont it make you feel old Evan, it does me.
I went to York Rail Museum and saw the actual bit of kit I worked on in the 70s, it had been uninstalled and rebuilt there as a display piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back