Gunman kills 21 on Virginia Tech campus

Poll in wrong thread, can Eric please remove this.

• ooops

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Can't ANY KIND of weapon be a assault weapon??

Of course ! I could even use a baseball bat to assault somebody... And it's not considered as an assault weapon. It's not even considered as a weapon !

Where can I get me one of those.

Monadnock Lifetime Products

Or you can also search the internet for "Expandable Batons". But be careful, in some countries those weapons need a certification to be bought... Or they may even be considered illegal in your country.

From experiance by a an friend if the cops ask you what the bat is doing in the car and you say sports your OK if you say protection your not

From what I have seen in the media. This kid was a F...ing mental case, who purchaced handguns from the local gunshop because "The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms." Why?

From what I have seen in the media. This kid was a F...ing mental case, who purchaced handguns from the local gunshop because "The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms." Why?

Rules should have barred weapon purchase By MATTHEW BARAKAT, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 19 minutes ago

McLEAN, Va. - A judge's ruling on Cho Seung-Hui's mental health should have barred him from purchasing the handguns he used in the Virginia Tech massacre, according to federal regulations. But it was unclear Thursday whether anybody had an obligation to inform federal authorities about Cho's mental status because of loopholes in the law that governs background checks.

Cho purchased two handguns in February and March, and was subject to federal and state background checks both times. The checks turned up no problems, despite a judge's ruling in December 2005 that Cho "presents an imminent danger to himself as a result of mental illness."

"On the face of it, he should have been blocked under federal law," said Denis Henigan, legal director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The 23-year-old South Korean immigrant was evaluated by a psychiatric hospital after he was accused of stalking two women and photographing female students in class with his cell phone. His violence-filled writings were so disturbing that professors begged him to get counseling.

The language of the ruling by Special Justice Paul M. Barnett almost identically tracks federal regulations from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Those rules bar the sale of guns to individuals who have been "adjudicated mentally defective."

The definition outlined in the regulations is "a determination by a court ... or other lawful authority that a person as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness ... is a danger to himself or to others."

Virginia State Police send information on prohibited buyers to the federal government. They maintain that the sale was legal under state law and would have been barred only if the justice had committed Cho to a psychiatric hospital. Barnett ordered outpatient treatment instead.

The Virginia attorney general's office declined to discuss the application of gun laws to Cho's case. Barnett also declined to comment.

The state uses a slightly different standard than the federal government, barring sales to individuals who have been judged "mentally incapacitated."

George Burke, a spokesman for Democratic Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (news, bio, voting record) of New York, said millions of criminal and mental-health records are not accessible to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, mostly because state and local governments lack the money to submit the records.

McCarthy has sponsored legislation since 2002 that would close loopholes in the national background check system for gun purchases.

Initially states were required to provide all relevant information to federal authorities when the instant background checks were enacted, but a U.S. Supreme Court ruling relieved them of that obligation.

"The law is very confused about this," said Richard Bonnie, a professor of law and psychiatry at the University of Virginia who heads a state commission on mental-health reform. "The source of the confusion is the relation between federal and state law."

Also Thursday, the owner of an Internet gun store based in Green Bay, Wis., told The Associated Press that Cho used his Web site to purchase one of the weapons used in the shootings. Cho paid $268 for the gun.

Eric Thompson, who runs http://www.thegunsource.com, said the Walther .22-caliber handgun was then shipped to a Virginia pawnbroker so Cho could pick it up.

Thompson said he had no idea his business was involved until he was contacted Tuesday by ATF agents.

"I just feel absolutely terrible that this tragedy even happened in the first place," he said.

___

I knew someone would hit on this. I think mentioned this on the first page of the thread.

So, Mahag, it's Bush's fault, is it?

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Kennesaw, Ga., City Hall

As the nation debates whether more guns or fewer can prevent tragedies like the Virginia Tech Massacre, a notable anniversary passed last month in a Georgia town that witnessed a dramatic plunge in crime and violence after mandating residents to own firearms.

In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. – unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of "Wild West" showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.

Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available – for the year 2005 – show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.

(Story continues below)

By comparison, the population of Morton Grove, the first city in Illinois to adopt a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, has actually dropped slightly and stands at 22,202, according to 2005 statistics. More significantly, perhaps, the city's crime rate increased by 15.7 percent immediately after the gun ban, even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township's crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.

This was not what some predicted.

In a column titled "Gun Town USA," Art Buchwald suggested Kennesaw would soon become a place where routine disagreements between neighbors would be settled in shootouts. The Washington Post mocked Kennesaw as "the brave little city … soon to be pistol-packing capital of the world." Phil Donahue invited the mayor on his show.

Reuters, the European news service, today revisited the Kennesaw controversy following the Virginia Tech Massacre.

Police Lt. Craig Graydon said: "When the Kennesaw law was passed in 1982 there was a substantial drop in crime … and we have maintained a really low crime rate since then. We are sure it is one of the lowest (crime) towns in the metro area." Kennesaw is just north of Atlanta.

The Reuters story went on to report: "Since the Virginia Tech shootings, some conservative U.S. talk show hosts have rejected attempts to link the massacre to the availability of guns, arguing that had students been allowed to carry weapons on campus someone might have been able to shoot the killer."

The president doesn't say we have a right to bear arms. The Constitution of the United States of America says we have a right to bear arms! It probably would be wise for those who are not citizens of the USA to stay out of a debate about the right to keep and bear arms.

Oh I don't know. I like those who have not, telling us we too should not be allowed to "bare arms". Deep down I find their musings entertaining. Sad. But entertaining.

I knew someone would hit on this. I think mentioned this on the first page of the thread.

So, Mahag, it's Bush's fault, is it?

It was bound to happen. If a house that belongs to somebody living in Denmark goes up in flames it is automatically the fault of Bush. :rolleyes:

Right on youall! Read the new "American Rifleman" last night and the article about the 308 Marlin Express. Always liked lever rifles. Have a 1895 Browning in 30 06. What used to be the worlds record elk was killed by a 1895 Win in 30 40 Krag.

Right on youall! Read the new "American Rifleman" last night and the article about the 308 Marlin Express. Always liked lever rifles. Have a 1895 Browning in 30 06. What used to be the worlds record elk was killed by a 1895 Win in 30 40 Krag.

1895 Browning in .30-06? Obviously a modern rifle. I too like lever actions. Only own one, though. :(

Hmmmm, exploiting third world countries. Where do we go with this? Yes it is modern. Well 20 years old. It is a copy of the 1895 Win that was designed by John Browning, possibly the greatest gun designer of all time, born in Utah, the great American West, part of our heritage of taking care of ourself instead of waiting for someone else to do it for us and that includes our security. Wonder if some other English speaking(at least partly) countries around the world might not be speaking German or Russian today if it weren't for the USA?

I think Hussars was being fascetious like the rest of us.

Picking up sarcasm has never been one of my strongpoints... just like when I PM'd you and didn't pick up on yours... :D

I'm not any better at it in face to face encounters either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back