H.G. Wells

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RabidAlien

1st Lieutenant
Apr 27, 2008
Hurst, Texas
If anybody's noticed Google's logo tweaks this past month, today would be the 143rd birthday of HG Wells, the mind behind the 1938 radio "program" War of the Worlds, detailing the invasion of Earth by Martians, beginning at Grover's Mill, NJ, consuming a good portion of the country, and ending with the eventual death of the aliens due to having no resistance to Earth's bacteria. I can only say one thing....

"2X2L calling CQ ... Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there ... anyone?"

I have a couple of copies of the broadcast. Here is the air strike.

The machines are close together now, and we're ready to attack. Planes circling, ready to strike. A thousand yards and we'll be over the first -- eight hundred yards . . . six hundred . . . four hundred . . . two hundred . . . There they go! The giant arm raised . . . (SOUND OF HEAT RAY) Green flash! They're spraying us with flame! Two thousand feet. Engines are giving out. No chance to release bombs. Only one thing left . . . drop on them, plane and all. We're diving on the first one. Now the engine's gone! Eight . . . (PLANE GOES DOWN)

OPERATOR ONE:
This is Bayonne, New Jersey, calling Langham Field . . . This is Bayonne, New Jersey, calling Langham Field . . . Come in, please . . .

OPERATOR TWO:
This is Langham Field . . . Go ahead . . .

OPERATOR ONE:
Eight army bombers in engagement with enemy tripod machines over Jersey flats. Engines incapacitated by heat ray. All crashed. One enemy machine destroyed.

Oh yeah, H.G. Well's, one of the founders of modern Science-Fiction writers. Pretty sure Sci-Fi would be a very different place without him.
P.S. Oh Lucky, I like the new avatar you've got there. Did you get an exclusive interview with the former governor. :)

I always loved the movie "HG WELLS, Shape of Things"...I guess it was based on his book (have not read) but the movie is a long time favorite of mine. I love the "vision" of the future...

I can remember many years ago visiting my grandparents house and wanting to listen to that broadcast. They had it on album and I think I listened to that every time I went there at least once. They usually play it out here around Halloween on one of the local radio stations. I should dig out my grandfathers old radio and listen on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back