Had to share this!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
Had to share this... p!ssing myself laughing at a comment found by chance looking for B-17 info!

Photo (here: B-17 Flying Fortress | B-17 Model - Part 2 ) is of a boy in the bombardier's seat of a B-17.
Caption reads: 'A kid sits in the gunner position aboard a P-51 Mustang fighter jet' :shock: :lol: :lol:

This on a B-17 site!!!! :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the time i got a mailer from the Smithsonian Air Space Museum that had a picture of a B-17 labelled B-24..or vice-a-versa...(I forget)...can you believe?

The tail gunner position on the jet powered mustang was a vital part of the aircrafts defense, aditionally the small tail required the gunner to be very small. Due to a design error the jet exhaust faced forward, requiring the propeller to redirect the exhaust rearward. Pictures never lie

Attachments

• 254-300x225.jpg
    254-300x225.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 280
Doh! They really messed up! Any fool can see it's actually the confetti - dropping position on a B-47 diesel Fighter-bomber !

The twin wing gunner positions were the most difficult requiring specially trained dwarfs who were always in short supply. Compounding their difficulties was the total lack of a forward view. Cords attached to their legs were pulled by the pilot, signaling them when to pull their triggers

Ah yes, and they had problems with the development of the cords, having first started out with elastic, which caused much confusion! The next step was wire, but it was felt that this was not a good idea, when severed ankles arrived in the cockpit ....

The tail gunner position on the jet powered mustang was a vital part of the aircrafts defense, aditionally the small tail required the gunner to be very small. Due to a design error the jet exhaust faced forward, requiring the propeller to redirect the exhaust rearward. Pictures never lie

Leave the technical **** to Gaston, man.

Even the kid has the correct plane. Look at his shirt. They should have asked the boy to I.D. the plane! I bet he would have got it right.

"With the down turn in the economy, many new sources and websites have had to farm out the captioning of photos to other countries in order to save money, sometimes with less than desired results!"

Guys.. :lol:

Been laughing at this all day - what it lacks in historical accuracy it sure makes up for in entertainment value! :) :)

The twin wing gunner positions were the most difficult requiring specially trained dwarfs who were always in short supply. Compounding their difficulties was the total lack of a forward view. Cords attached to their legs were pulled by the pilot, signaling them when to pull their triggers

Mike, 2 point infraction. These brave folks are referred to as Little People. I will not expect you to repeat this error again. Oh and for historical correctness, the cords were not attached to the Little Peoples legs. That is just silly revisionist history. Attachment to their legs did not provide an efficient and positive human factors response for needed fire suppression in a timely manner. In truth, the cords were connected to their uncircumcised... well... stuff. This allowed for immediate and positive response for individual bomber defense.

It should also be noted that lack of cord burn was also used as a means of indication of insubordination.

www.wikipedia.org/ww2bomberdefense/little_people_foreskin*burn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back